Woodworking Goal

"All I wanna do is have some fun
And I get the feeling
I'm not the only one..."
(apologies to Ms. Crow)
I want to take all of the elements of the furniture that I have seen over the last many years and synthesize them into a few pieces that reflect the history of those items that I respect the most - and give these pieces away to the people that I love - in the hope that they will keep them and treasure them forever.
I want to build the most perfect tall case clock, that has a traditional look and feel but is unique in its design to a degree that it can't be thought of as a copy - and I want the person I give it to keep it forever.
I want to learn to carve as well and as sweetly as Mike Hide does.
I want to build a modified version of the classic knee hole Goddard Townsend Desks, to be used as night tables in my bedroom.
I want to develop the pleasant personality of Norm, the phlegmatic approach to the work of Dave Marks and the apparent insensitivity to pain of Roy Underhill.
I want my son to get tall enough so that he can work at the tablesaw without fear that a kickback would take his head off.
I want to make a cherry tall chest with a crotch figure for the doors - that I am still searching for.
I hope that I don't die before I get to build my Herreshoff skiff.
I've recently come to want to build a new version of my old carpenter's tote box, with nice wood and joinery, well above its station, to give to my son as a twelfth birthday present (he's eight - there is still time).
I want to live long enough to see the wooddorking magazines back off of the 'how to do' stuff and allow a little room for the poetry of wooddorking.
I want Tommy Plamman's new shop.
I want to learn how to turn wood so thin that you can damned near read a newspaper through it.
I want to sell my Leigh and be able to see well enough to sharpen my dovetail saws.
I want Keeter and O'Deen to come back to the Wreck.
I wish that I was twenty five again, so that I could do everything over that I have already done.
As Momma used to say, "If wishes were horses - beggars would ride."
Still, it's the wishing and the wanting that keeps us moving forward and, like our cartilaginous cousins, the sharks, if'n we stop moving forward - we sink to the bottom and die.

Nice list, Tom.
I just want to build a piece that doesn't have some stupid mistake that I pray nobody sees.
;-)
djb
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:14:44 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.
As to the wish for perfection -
I've adopted a modified version of the concept of The Persian Flaw.
As it was related to me, Persian rug makers, although capable of creating a perfect rug, would include an intended flaw, so as not to give offence to The Only Perfect Being.
I call my implementation a modified version because I know damned well that I have not and probably never will produce a flawless piece - yet I take succor from the humility expressed by those more capable.
You may notice that I used the word, "probably" - I haven't quite given up yet.

I did say "stupid" mistake.
;-)
Some years back I had a copy of the "Monty Python Bok", actually, the "Paper Bok" 'cause it was in softcover. One of the pages in the "Bok" announced:
"Find the Deliferate Mistale!
Yes, somewhere on this page, there is a deliferate mistale!..."
etc.
The deliferate mistale. That's what I aspire to.
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:44:48 -0600, Dave Balderstone
I think that all mistakes are stupid.
I can't recall one mistake (in or out of wooddorking) that I couldn't have avoided.
Regarding Those Pythons:
I rented this day copies of The Holy Grail and The Life Of Brian to spring on my unsuspecting thirteen year old daughter.
Some might call this an attempt at the transmittal of culture.
I actually just wanted to give her a case of the Sillies.

<snippage>
You want to have another chance? I think you just want to avoid living like the rest of us . . "I have to learn from other people's mistakes, I don't have time enough to make them all myself".
--
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

I've often thought about doing it over from age 20, but then 1. I wouldn't have Marti. 2. I wouldn't have Brian and Eric and their wives. 3. Where does it say that you could take back with you only the experience and not the pain? My God, to have to live through all those new troubles when I've just started to learn how to deal with the old set.
I like Morrie's (Tuesdays with...) philosophy: I can relive it any time in my memory.
To the point: My woodworking goal is produce things that give me joy. Joy is composed of nonequal parts of intellectual satisfaction, fun in the making, utility (so sue me), and indefinable emotional gratification. If others like the stuff, so much the better. I may be on the fringes of it. I have a sweet set of doors for a stereo cabinet; I designed them in a southwestern motif and I can't wait to finish them.
Bob

In the words of some country song, you would have missed the Dance...

Unfortunately, and most certainly through a lack of adequate expression on my part, my meaning was misconstrued.
I did not intend to indicate that I would like to repeat my life in order to cure some flaws in the living of that life. My intent was to express my desire to live the whole thing over again, exactly as I had already done it.
It was an expression of satisfaction to the degree of being able to wish to experience it all again - exactly as it happened.
My apologies.

As a newbie and a hobbyist, my goal is to seek praise (and avoid snickers at my screw-ups) from SAMBA and anyone else who sees what I've made. I think about this all the time, "Loops, screwed up, what will people say?" "Neat-of, bet I get lots of compliments on this project." Making money from this hobby is furthers from my mind... maybe when I get better and quicker?
So far I've made cabinets for SAMBA and mother-in-law, and blue bird houses for a Church fund raiser. Oh , and a few jigs and cabinets for my shop. And I built my own house, I suppose that qualifies as woodworking.
Gary
Gary

SAMBA??? Where the heck did that come from? Lion King? Please replace with SWMBO.
Gary

Thanks for clearing that up, Gary. I kinda thought that was the case, but, you knows, we are creative folk here and I have always been partial to SWIMPAL. Later, Beej

I though it stood for She Always Must Be Admired.

Essentially, I will be happy to build furniture that is comfortable to use and would look familiar to the Stickleys or to Wright. I definitely do not have aspirations to make money from my efforts. That then takes my hobby away from me. Later, Beej
My goals are the same but I think I have far lower expectations than you Charlieb. All though I'll add one that applies to me, I work in a trade where knowledge will take you further than craftsmanship. Not totally, but people who can do pretty work are valued less then those who can design. For me woodworking allows me to step back and use all my senses. When I was young I did a lot of white water river running to relax, it required a total focus which relaxed me, woodworking does the same thing. Mike M

To combine my vocation (hardware/software development), the avocation that has brought me the greatest amount of satisfaction (woodworking), and my long-standing interest in alternative energy technologies, especially solar, in order to produce affordable devices that change thinking and reduce the USA's (and the world's) dependence on non-renewable energy sources.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA www.iedu.com/DeSoto/
Morris Dovey wrote:

Wow. ;^)
Might as well throw in "world peace" while yer at it ;^)
--
Saville

that
Humor appreciated. Note that I said "reduce dependence" rather than "achieve independence". I think my goal is realistic/achievable and that I have the skills required to deal with the technical problems. For the rest, I seem to be getting a lot of help from inept politicians and wuda-been diplomats. Time will tell.
I've learned that a small number of people can bring about significant changes. My personal track record includes helping to develop the first flexible diskette drive and the first Winchester technology hard drive products. At the time, none of us had any inkling of the magnitude of the changes we were bringing - but in retrospect, it was a really good lesson: Work to make things work better - I might not succeed; but then again, I might. "Failure to try" is not far from "trying to fail." Sometimes success exceeds all expectations. (-:
We'll have world peace when there are enough people who /really/ want it. I think we all know what it takes; but there isn't yet a sufficient desire.
-- Morris