Woodworking Goal

My goals are the same but I think I have far lower expectations than you Charlieb. All though I'll add one that applies to me, I work in a trade where knowledge will take you further than craftsmanship. Not totally, but people who can do pretty work are valued less then those who can design. For me woodworking allows me to step back and use all my senses. When I was young I did a lot of white water river running to relax, it required a total focus which relaxed me, woodworking does the same thing. Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

To combine my vocation (hardware/software development), the avocation that has brought me the greatest amount of satisfaction (woodworking), and my long-standing interest in alternative energy technologies, especially solar, in order to produce affordable devices that change thinking and reduce the USA's (and the world's) dependence on non-renewable energy sources.

Morris Dovey

Thanks for clearing that up, Gary. I kinda thought that was the case, but, you knows, we are creative folk here and I have always been partial to SWIMPAL. Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Essentially, I will be happy to build furniture that is comfortable to use and would look familiar to the Stickleys or to Wright. I definitely do not have aspirations to make money from my efforts. That then takes my hobby away from me. Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

I though it stood for She Always Must Be Admired.

Reply to
Robatoy

Wow. ;^)

Might as well throw in "world peace" while yer at it ;^)

Reply to
gregg

People who think that way usually end up several hours later with a big pile of particle board and Euro-fasteners on their garage floor. I suspect I could make enough money to support my hobbies just doing Ikea furniture assembly for the truly clueless. And there are a *lot* of them out there.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Humor appreciated. Note that I said "reduce dependence" rather than "achieve independence". I think my goal is realistic/achievable and that I have the skills required to deal with the technical problems. For the rest, I seem to be getting a lot of help from inept politicians and wuda-been diplomats. Time will tell.

I've learned that a small number of people can bring about significant changes. My personal track record includes helping to develop the first flexible diskette drive and the first Winchester technology hard drive products. At the time, none of us had any inkling of the magnitude of the changes we were bringing - but in retrospect, it was a really good lesson: Work to make things work better - I might not succeed; but then again, I might. "Failure to try" is not far from "trying to fail." Sometimes success exceeds all expectations. (-:

We'll have world peace when there are enough people who /really/ want it. I think we all know what it takes; but there isn't yet a sufficient desire.

-- Morris

Reply to
Morris Dovey

What? Take on responsibility for all the future failings of a piece of cheap crap, for a fee that's appreciably less than its purchase price?

No thanks !

Reply to
Andy Dingley
    • C
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Hello,

That was my first job! when I was 12, I placed a message in the local church buletin bord saying that I was a "pro" at assembly IKEA stuff and I was getting calls from housewhifes that were calling me to the rescue when their husband started breacking the IKEA stuff of frustration! made quie a lot of money like tha t:-)

cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson

You know, Andy, in the case of Ikea, the assembly charge could legitimately be greater than the cost of purchase.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

No problem, I'll just tell them: "Cash only, thank you very much, and if you *really* need to know, my name is Dingley, Andy Dingley."

I'm crazy, but I'm not stupid.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Agreed, but would anyone pay that ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've often thought about doing it over from age 20, but then

  1. I wouldn't have Marti.
  2. I wouldn't have Brian and Eric and their wives.
  3. Where does it say that you could take back with you only the experience and not the pain? My God, to have to live through all those new troubles when I've just started to learn how to deal with the old set.

I like Morrie's (Tuesdays with...) philosophy: I can relive it any time in my memory.

To the point: My woodworking goal is produce things that give me joy. Joy is composed of nonequal parts of intellectual satisfaction, fun in the making, utility (so sue me), and indefinable emotional gratification. If others like the stuff, so much the better. I may be on the fringes of it. I have a sweet set of doors for a stereo cabinet; I designed them in a southwestern motif and I can't wait to finish them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

In the words of some country song, you would have missed the Dance...

Reply to
Dave Hall

Unfortunately, and most certainly through a lack of adequate expression on my part, my meaning was misconstrued.

I did not intend to indicate that I would like to repeat my life in order to cure some flaws in the living of that life. My intent was to express my desire to live the whole thing over again, exactly as I had already done it.

It was an expression of satisfaction to the degree of being able to wish to experience it all again - exactly as it happened.

My apologies.

Reply to
Tom Watson

what goal Im looking for in my woodworking is to be able to build peices of the quality and with the same skill that my great grandfather or his sons did or my dad who died when I was only a year old did they did it all with such care and attention to detail without a shop full of power tools we still have these tresures in our famly hand down through the years my granddaughter plays with a doll cradle built by mt greatgrand dad for my grand mothers sister I just hope some day that I can make them proud as they look down from above at my work

Jim

Reply to
JAMES Mankin

Sounds like a really great heritage, I hope it is also a part of your sole.

... I wish I had a heritage like that.

Reply to
AAvK