woodworking gloves?

Page 2 of 2

Sorry, Jay, Especially with today's fabrics, it is very unlikely the cut will be clean, neat and fast.
Gloves and power tools are still a very poor mix. Until the day finger and hand transplants are routine and cheap, and pain can be removed with thought, they always will be.
You don't stick your bare hand near moving blades. Fine. Neither do the rest of us, though I've known patternmakers who work within one inch of a table saw blade...made my skin crawl. But on occasion, there is a slip. If my hand slides into a blade accidentally, for whatever reason, I prefer to be able to snatch it back without having to fight the resistance of material that is almost suitable for use as tire cord.
Add pictures here
βœ–

While I agree that work gloves are a bad idea, latex or nitrile gloves will tear quite quickly which is what I use with wood that makes my hands itch. Yes I have been cut twice buy a tablesaw (TS220LS) and it was without gloves.
Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

So you're too busy for this trivia?
Max
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:29:36 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Relax, take a pill.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Apr 16, 2007, 6:29pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew Hodgett) doth smootly sayeth: You are either the biggest dumb fuck on the planet or a troll.
Damn Lew, wish I was a smooth talker like you. LMAO I thought he was just an idiot.
The only time I wear gloves in connecton with woodworking is for loadng, or unloading, rough lumber or wood; and seldom wear them for any other reason either.
You get a splinter, you can put some glue on it, let the glue dry, peel the glue off, the splinter goes with it. Or just pull it out with yor fingers. Or pulol it out with your teeth. Or pull it out with tweezers. Or dig it out with a needle. Or just be careful in the first place.
JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wearing gloves operating machines I find necessary at times but I use disposable ones, mainly with poplar which irritates my skin. The blue ones, does not protect against splinters though. I use carpenter gloves to move fresh milled stock though.
But any jewelry is long gone before I grab the ladder to crawl up to the roof, USAF cured me of any notion that wearing a ring or watch while climbing is safe on anything other than my wife.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Add pictures here
βœ–
Markem wrote:

I wore my High School ring while in the Navy. I was on a heavy cruiser that served as a flagship for the 6th fleet. Every exposed hand rail had macrame knotted cord as a decoration. I used a hand rail to swing down into a compartment one time and the ring caught on the macrame and almost took off my finger. It cut a nice gouge in the flesh. I never wore it after that
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Where it's obligatory, if she's like mine was. Didn't wear one pretty much ever again after dumping a check in UPT for not removing one. Think SWMBO looked at the pay scale and figured the harassed look was enough to brand me as married, and the extra cash went to her anyway. I got an allowance.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I use these and like them a lot.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pF936&cat=2,42407,33246
They are a very good fit, 'grippy' enough pick up just about everything. The thermal qualities aren't great, they aren't that thick. Good tactile feel, I got used to them quickly.
They seem quite durable, they've stood up to winter of woodwork with only minor damage. Small piece of the latex came off at the base of the thumb.
They also have the non-thermal variety.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pD601&cat=2,42407,33246
David.

Add pictures here
βœ–
"trs80" <wrote in message

Gloves and woodworking machinery don't mix. There is an adhesive tape that you can put on individual fingers that would be a much safer alternative for those time you need some type of protection:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 415&filter=finger%20tape
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
trs80 wrote:

My brother uses these and swears by them. Watch for line wrap.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname !439&product%5Fid!440
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname !439&product%5Fid!440
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't wear gloves when there is any chance they could be caught by power tools.
Bye-bye finger or hand.
The only gloves I wear are fingerless cycling gloves when I'm turning wood on the lathe. I'd never wear gloves on the router table or table saw or drill press, or band saw, or...
--
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- Margaret Thatcher

Use push sticks, not gloves, with machinery.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Using gloves around moving ropes (or "lines" for the yachtsmen) or around whirling machinery (like saw blades or router bits) isn't recommended by nearly every safety manual or instruction I've seen.
They can be "nicked" and your hand drawn into the machinery and you won't feel the nick... just the "hand-drawn-into" part.
Yes, yachtsmen wear gloves, but they typically have no tips on the fingers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

the no-tipped gloves are so one can untie something, which is rather hard to do with fingered gloves. if i didn't use gloves on my sailboat, i wouldn't have any skin left. i know of no yachts-people who actually pull lines who do not use gloves.
regards, charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

[...]>
I have done plenty of sailing and carpentry and I still have the tips on all my fingers.
Add pictures here
βœ–