woodworking gloves?

I to often will get a splinter when, for example, putting pressure ona a board against a router table while pushing with the other hand. Are there gloves meant for wood working to help prevent that? Id like to have something I could wear the entire time so they would have to be supple enought to hold a pencil and write and hold a small steel rulter so the thick leather construction gloves wont work for that. thanks

Reply to
trs80

Mine aren't specially for woodworking, but I really like unlined kidskin gloves. They are thin, supple and stop all splinters (so far). Get a nice snug fitting set and they will stretch to a comfortable fit. Too bad I couldn't find mine yesterday when I was working with genuine weatherbeaten barn wood. It's beautiful but I got about six splinter doing the job.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Have you looked for gloves at any hardware or big-box store lately? There are a variety of styles of fairly thin, form-fitting gloves that can supposedly be worn while picking up nails and other small pieces, but still have leather or synthetic abrasion-resistant palms for protection. I wore some woodworking for a while, but I found they didn't last too long (the suede between the leather palm pads wore through quickly), and I was always taking them off to feel the smoothness of wood anyway. So I gave up, and only wear gloves while working with very rough stock now. I do knock off a tiny bit of sharp edges with a block plane after I plane and joint stock to size, and that helps with splinters/barked knuckles. I suppose the ideal would be just to build up the calluses on your hands so rough wood isn't hard to handle, but unfortunately I can't do woodworking full-time (yet?...) so my hands end up staying pretty soft for now, and I deal with scrapes and the occasional splinter as they come. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

These are good. I have been wearing them all year, but not totally splinter proof.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Glove and machine tools DON'T go together. Great way to loose a finger or more.

Reply to
CW

I use "Carver's Tape", sold by Lee Valley and Woodcraft, on my thumb and forefinger. You can slip it off in one piece, and use the "thimble" oevr and over.

Before I discovered carver's tape, I used hockey tape in the same manner.

Reply to
B A R R Y

trs80 wrote: > I to often will get a splinter when, for example, putting pressure ona a > board against a router table while pushing with the other hand. Are there > gloves meant for wood working to help prevent that?

You are either the biggest dumb f*ck on the planet or a troll.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I use these and like them a lot.

are a very good fit, 'grippy' enough pick up just about everything. The thermal qualities aren't great, they aren't that thick. Good tactile feel, I got used to them quickly.

They seem quite durable, they've stood up to winter of woodwork with only minor damage. Small piece of the latex came off at the base of the thumb.

They also have the non-thermal variety.

against a router table while

prevent that? Id like to have

to hold a pencil and write and

Reply to
David

Lew, you really should not hold back. We want to know how you REALLY feel. R!

Reply to
ROY!

"trs80" I to often will get a splinter when, for example, putting pressure ona a

Gloves and woodworking machinery don't mix. There is an adhesive tape that you can put on individual fingers that would be a much safer alternative for those time you need some type of protection:

Swingman

Having an Imus moment? Why couldn't you have explained why gloves aren't such a good idea? You are really getting to be like the little kid in the kindergarten classroom that has to constantly raise his hand with the answer. Shovel the snow off your fiberglass boat and get busy!

Reply to
rmeyer1

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Reply to
trs80

My brother uses these and swears by them. Watch for line wrap.

Gerald Ross

> --

Reply to
trs80

Don't wear gloves when there is any chance they could be caught by power tools.

Bye-bye finger or hand.

The only gloves I wear are fingerless cycling gloves when I'm turning wood on the lathe. I'd never wear gloves on the router table or table saw or drill press, or band saw, or...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

try atlas 370 palmflex gloves- use them at work on night crew at a store often picking up wood pallets with them. Before using gloves I occasionally picked up a splinter that would get infected. Pallets are bad news in that you never know what they have been sitting in or had slapped on top them.The

370 gloves are flexible with the nylon knit body and the nitrile palm. Pat
Reply to
patrick mitchel

There was a time when my response to the above would have been to suggest that you perform aerial intercourse with a rotating annular spheroid concentrating your efforts on a centrally located sphinter; however, these days more important ways of spending my time are available.

Perhaps the easiest thing for all concerned is to be placed in each other's respective kill file.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I like these. They keep my hands warm also:

Stoutman