Woodworking gifts received

Page 4 of 4

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic for Christmas.
I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)
Puckdropper
On 26 Dec 2009 06:56:43 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I bought a 12v Panasonic for SWMBO (a little slip of a thing) a couple years ago based on recommendations here. I have not regretted it, and more importantly, neither has she. Your Mom will like it, and you might find yourself wondering why you don't have one yourself.
Regards, Roy

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of all the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the Makita and keep the Panasonic for yourself.

I like my Bosch (Impactor and regular). OTOH, I don't like the "broken-stick" screwdrivers at all. We have a Milwaukee at work. No thanks, I'll use a manual screwdriver.

The Makita's got a flashlight and impact driver with the drill. The Panasonic is just the drill. I'm still keeping my Makitas... The Panasonic may be better, but it's not that much better.
Puckdropper

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/summer-woodworking-projects/holiday-gift-projects/1365300003/?photoId 63400009 Oh yeah, I forgot the box-set of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, that's the only woodworking gift I actually suggested.

I found a bin at LOwes with a pile of 4-inch "Vise Grips," albeit Lowes brand and grabbed the three left at $1.98 each. Then, I cut a pattern guide out of some thin material and used it to rout out a hole that just fit the little pliers in three chunks of 3/4-inch Mahogany. Then, I planed down an old (1960 era) piece of "barn wood" that had some nice figuring and routed out a rectangular opening so as to form a cover or top for the tool encapsulating Mahogany base into which I cut a rabbit on all four sides so the bottom section fit nicely into the Barn Wood top. Putting the two pieces together, I trimmed all four sides on the table saw, then sanded and finished the little boxes.
I gave them as gifts to a couple of buddies and to my son-in-law. Nothing great, somewhat of a "gag gift," but fun to make and give. And at a cost that was hardly noticed.
Not so impressive as the umbrella stand - nice piece - but an idea for next year maybe.
DGDevin wrote:

A new Ford 460 engine for my working flatbed truck!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

I buy my own tools and tell everyone I know I prefer it that way. In fact, I prefer that I am the only one that knows about my tools and that nobody ever sees them. I'd be happy to get a warm plaid flannel shirt as a gift though, even better if it has pocket flaps to keep out the sawdust.
"Phisherman" wrote:

Check out the Chamois shirts from L L Bean, you might like them.
I know I do.
Lew.

I asked for some 5" hook and loop sand paper for Christmas, and got a couple packages from just about everybody. That worked out quite well for Christmas tools. You never can have too much sand paper, especially when it takes 2-3 sheets to finish a project.
Didn't get the other tool I asked for, a good quality pencil sharpener. (Lee Valley's got one for $20.)
Puckdropper