Woodworking Classes?

Page 2 of 4
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Be sure to check the PBS listings. That's where I get my fix of "New Yankee Workshop" and "Woodwright's Shop" (for opposite ends of the power tool spectrum).
(Back to lurking, while pondering what would happen if Norm and Roy collaborated on a show.)
--
|Drew Lawson | Of all the things I've lost |
| snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.com | I miss my mind the most |
Drew Lawson wrote:

PBS... I keep forgetting that station exists. Thanks.

I'm sure we've all used that rationalization. But don't kid yourself. You will not know when to use cheap materials and when to use better, so you will buy all good stuff and spend more on materials than a pro will. Or you will cut corners when you shouldn't, then have to throw away the bad materials and replace with good, spending more on materials than a pro will. Or you will screw up something and end up spending more on materials than a pro will.
DAMHIKT!!!
And often when making something, you will not be willing to accept the compromises that you find perfectly acceptable when buying a finished piece of furniture.
P.S. I still use that rationalization, but it is not myself that I am trying to convince<g>.

That, to me, is a better reason for doing the work, if you need one other than enjoying it.

alexy wrote:

I hadn't thought of those issues.

I am a computer nerd and enjoy tinkering alone so I do imagine I would also enjoy woodworking also.
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:01:37 -0400, Corner of My Mind

My math abilities complement both programming and woodworking.
Check with the Woodcraft store in Pompano Beach, 1157 South Federal Highway. Their phone is 954.785.6321. (www.woodcraft.com)
The Woodcraft stores have a pretty good lineup of classes at reasonable prices. I've taken Woodcraft classes in Orlando and Jacksonville. (A Note of Caution: I'm finding there may be some truth in the adage about old dogs and new tricks!)
The Woodcraft stores can also give you information on local woodworking and woodturning clubs.
You might also check the Constantine's store in Ft. Lauderdale for classes and clubs.
Good hunting and welcome aboard,
John Flatley Jacksonville, Florida
--

"Corner of My Mind" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in
message
John Flatley wrote:

This seems like an excellent idea. Thanks.
They have 22 classes taught at the nearest location. Of those, I'm guessing the following 3 would be most beneficial for a newbie like me:
* "Woodturning 101 & 201" - 2 Days (15 hours total - lunches?) for $250
* "Tablesaws from A to Z" - 1 Day for $75
* "Learning the Router" - 1 Day (5.5 hours - lunch?) for $75 + materials
So, for about $400 I can become a pro :)

I didn't find any classes listed on their website (http://www.constantines.com /) but I'll drop by and get to know the place as well as Woodcraft store

Thank you.
Corner of My Mind wrote:

If I had to pick one, I would do the Table saw. Then the router class
shawn wrote:

Oh, I don't know. Turning can keep some of us occupied for years and there's a lot less tools required. One lathe, a half dozen gouges, scrapers, and chisels, a grinder, and maybe a few sharpening jigs and the OP is in business. Add a chuck and a couple of extra jaw sets after the initial practicing. The whole thing could be done for around $1000, although I'd spring for the new General mini-lathe with the swiveling head which would add around $300 more.
And in many cases, practice wood is free.
Of course, there's a lot more turning stuff out there to spend money on if you're a tool junkie - DAMHIKT :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Ok... now I need to confess my ignorance/newbieness.
When I initially saw the list of classes and read their description, I was thinking "woodworking 101 & 201" and not "woodturning 101 & 201". I did not realize my mistake until I read your post.
I think Table Saw and Router would be more beneficial for me if what I'm initially interested in building are built-in bookcases, window seat, and other items that have minimal rounded pieces.
Protect hearing when using the router!!!
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:32:14 -0500, shawn

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Thanks for the advise. That seems logical to me.

I've taken 2 classes at the Woodcraft store in Pompano - a one evening turning class and one on sharpening your turning tools. The turning class was with Dean and was very good - all hands-on and left with my first bowl :). The sharpening class was even better - they had to cancel but I never got the message and drove 20 miles anyway, so Jay, the manager, took my in back and showed me how, cranked up a lathe for me to test the newly sharpened gouges on, and gave me some advice to correct my technique. I plan on going back to take the "Woodturning 101 & 201" from Lee Sky soon - he's very good.
Tom
Tom S wrote:

Well...this is a completely opposite experience than Bill experienced when he took the router class. I wonder if the teaching technique is different based on the class or based on the store/teacher. Since I would be going to the pompano store also because it is the local one to me, this makes me feel a little better.
Corner of My Mind wrote:

I suspect that it is store / teacher specific and that is why I suggested nosing around before signing up. The Pompano store has had a good recommendation. Two year ago I'd have given my local store much the same recommendation as a former in-law was teaching many of the classes then. We don't keep in touch much and he seems to have moved on. Pity ... he actually knew what he was doing and how to present it.
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

shawn wrote:

Thanks for your recommendation. I really appreciate it.
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:32:14 -0500, shawn

I agree with the table saw. I probably use it more than any other power tool in the shop. But, you can do woodworking for a lifetime and not use a table saw at all. I have two routers and these are useful and very versatile tools also. Quality hand tools are a good investment as they can last a liftetime and many still prove useful after you buy power tools.
SWDeveloper wrote:

Interesting paradox. A tool that is used most often but is not needed.

The question is how does a newbie spot a quality tool if he doesn't know what to look for? Is there a brand that is known to only product quality tools? Just look for the most expensive of that tool available?
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:57:49 -0400, Corner of My Mind

General rule of thumb, you get what you pay for a $99 tablesaw versus a $500 as far a portables. A good fence though can make a cheap saw better. Google can be a good help, you can find reviews and opinions of the tool in question. When getting ready to purchase find a dealer who will let you touch and use it prior to investing your money in the tool.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Yes, it does seem paradoxical, but my experience is the same as SWD's. I'll explain it this way: For 80% of the wood cutting I do (excluding hand-cut joinery), the table saw is the most convenient and does the best job. So it gets used the most. For the occasional crosscut of heavy/long/unwieldy boards, I will use the radial arm saw, but could do it on a table saw with outrigger supports. For resawing (cutting a board across its thickness dimension), I will use the bandsaw (the only way for wider boards, and the best way for all). For ripping thick or gnarly wood, for cuts in very small pieces of wood, or for curved cuts, I will use the bandsaw (safest for problem rips and cuts of small pieces). If I had to have only one stationary power saw, I'd choose the bandsaw, but I'd have to plane all the rip cuts I did to get as straight an edge as I would get off the table saw.

That's where a class will help, as long as you keep in mind that a class in a Woodcraft store might not recommend, e.g., tools you can get off ebay <g>.

Sure. It's hard to go wrong with Veritas (direct from Lee Valley, and some lines, but not planes, distributed through other retail channels such as Woodcraft) or Lie-Nielsen (direct or retailers such as woodcraft). But in my opinion, they might be a little pricey--good value and worth the price if you will be using them, but maybe too much to spend before you see where your interests lie.

Of course, that works, but might not be the best approach. It's hard to go wrong with a Holtey (or Sauer & Steiner, or Marcou, or ...), but I don't think I would be able to appreciate its value. http://www.holteyplanes.com /
Of course, don't go purely by price, or you will find yourself getting collectibles rather than users: http://www.finetoolj.com/bas/home.html