Woodworking book

Page 1 of 2
Hello again,
I'm looking for a comprehensive woodworking book. I'm looking for something very complete, enjoyable to read and educational, that would guide me through the basics (how to properly use chisels for example, or how to make a tenon-and-mortise joint) and also through more advanced topics and would give plans for basic projects. Preferably, i'd like something that covers both manual AND power tools techniques.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
A book that partly fills your needs is Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking books 1$2 bound together about $30.00. Describes how-to for many joints and describes machine and hand methods.

$17.39 + $1.40 shipping at Overstock.com...
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID 8176

they shipped the wrong book and then refused to do anything about it. BEWARE
"Tage Frid teaches woodworking" fits the bill. Very comprehensive and extremely well done. A classic, really.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)98902201/sr=8 -1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5674693-5426533?v=glance&s=books&nP7846

This book looks very good. Does it have a section explaining how to sharpen handtools (chisels, block/smoothing plane blades, etc....) ?

Zed Rafi wrote:

That would be your other book, Leonard Lee's opus on sharpening. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I have to agree, Leonard Lee's book is outstanding. Woodworking without sharp tools is no fun. This book explains the "candle" on the edge of a tool, something important that I was not aware.
Phisherman said:

Candle? Please explain in 50 words or less... ;-)
Greg G.
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:13:14 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

prolly using a bright point source light to inspect the edge. it's amazing what you can see that way.
calmly ranted:

There is no single book which covers all that you want. Check Greg Millen's book review page for some of our Wreck favorites. http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/reference/books.htm

For sharpening, get Leonard Lee's book, "The Complete Guide to Sharpening", or do a Google search on this newsgroup for "Scary Sharp".

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

Greg

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
No, wait - let me rephrase that.
"If Phisherman has any problem with me quoting him, let me know and I'll remove it immediately."
I guess I am having one of *those* days, sigh.
--
Greg

"Greg Millen" <> wrote in message ...
No problem. But I'm sure Lee explains "candle" better than I.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:08:06 +1000, "Greg Millen"

<re - "candle"> I had a look but couldn't find it. Please tell me what page so I don't have to re-read the whole thing again!
--

Greg

"Phisherman" < snipped-for-privacy@noone.com> wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:08:06 +1000, "Greg Millen"

It's fine, thank you. Carry on, Jeeves.
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."

Greg's summary includes "Cabinetmaking and Millwork - John Feirer, Bennett Publishing" I acquired this book when I took a college-level intro to cabinetmaking class during the late 1970's. The version I have is dated to that era but most of the information will never change. I believe an '80s update exists and new/used books are available from Amazon.com. Even though it is nearly 40 years old, apparently it is still being used because Amazon offers teaching guides dated 1999.
In spite of being dated, this is the book I dig out most often when trying to figue out casing design, tools, technique, etc. At 900+ pages it covers everything from wood properties, power tools, furniture design, production techniques, etc. Well illustrated with photos, process sketches and design-type (drafted) drawings.
Good book, a little heavy.
This book was our high school woodworking class text book. Excellant read.

Tage Frid's first book (two volumes in one).
Then Flexner is good on finishing.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Just rec'd the Frid 2 volumes in one by looking at $$$ in
http://used.addall.com /
cost of used plus postage = $ 22.xx
I'm probably going to keep it in the shop (eventually) as a reference so there was no point in getting a brand spanking new copy.
Josie