Woodworking Adhesive Survey

Page 3 of 4
Let me first reassure you that I am, in fact, a graduate student at Franklin University, and this survey is, in fact, for a class I am taking in the graduate school program. When the instructor for the course (Marketing Research and Theory, 601), handed out the assignment to prepare a survey, she recommended we do the survey on behalf of one of the companies for which the team members work to imitate a real-world situation. Because I am an employee at Franklin International, I suggested doing the survey on our HiPURformer product. The group agreed that this would be an interested project on which to do the survey. I worked on the survey on-line from home, I happened to posted the survey on the web from work. As you saw in the instructions, we were up front in indicating that the responses to the survey would be shared with the manufacturer of HiPURformer. (We didn't indicate who the manufacturer was only because we felt that would sway the results of the survey.)
I apologize for any confusion around this. It's important for me to tell you that, I, as all of us at Franklin, have the highest regard for woodworkers. It is for you that Franklin International works. The Masters program at Franklin University is aware of this research and supports it fully. Thank you.

OK, that's 7 times.
On 28 May 2004 10:47:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (Franklin Univ Student) wrote:

May I suggest that your company manufacture a new product...just for some of the folks in this group.
Call it...TiteAss II lol
Sorry some people here jumped down your throat. There was nothing wrong with your post...especially considering the expected learning experience you anticipated on your end.
UNexpectedly...and this is probably a GOOD thing...you got responses that you had NOT anticipated. Don't take that as anything negative, however. It should actually aid you in your future studies.
Good luck...and good initiative!!
Remember to honor our troops...past and present.
And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.
Trent

That does not change the fact that the survey sucked. It was not set up properly and therefore the result is meaningless. Give a negative to question #3 and the rest of the questions should be invalidated. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I couldn't get to the survey, Ed. I'd been taken off by the time I got there.
But I got the impression that they didn't actually set up the format for the survey. It looked like they were locked in to the format of that site.
Remember to honor our troops...past and present.
And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.
Trent

Let's see, according to the website, Franklin International is located in Columbus, OH. Franklin University on the other hand is located in....... Columbus, OH. What are the possibilities that some students at Franklin University could be doing a project in cooperation with a local company that bears a strikingly similar name and may actually sponser some stuff at Franklin University? Anyone on this list ever do a group class project in college? Did you by chance have to pick some real world entity or situation so that the project had some degree of reality to it, not just some professor's excercise? I know that I did such a project in grad school. I pity the poor corporation that actually relies on the results of such projects, but the managers probably met some of their community service requirements by spending a few hours "helping" these students. Looks good at the next performance review with the boss. May have even provided some server space and bandwidth.
On the other hand ...maybe not.
Dave Hall

[...]
Fri, May 28, 2004, 10:48am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (FranklinUnivStudent) puts out: Let me first reassure you that I am, in fact, a graduate student <snip> I happened to posted the survey on the web from work. <snip> The Masters program at Franklin University is aware of this research and supports it fully
"I happened to posted"? ROTFLMAO
A graduate student, eh? What grade? I didn't look at your survey. Why? At least partly, because you could not express youself clearly in writing. You didn't even come close. So, knew the "survey" was going to be even stupider. You don't need a marketing course, you need a writing course.
If Franklin's masters program is aware of the project, they sure as Hell must not be checking it.
By the way, repeating the same post over and over, that's just pathetic.
For your information, I use Titebond II. I don't buy it because of marketing, I buy it because it works, and I like it. I don't buy ANYTHING because of marketing, and/or surveys. In fact, I consider people that do that type of work somewhat untrustworthy, because usually they are trying to sell someting they know nothing about. What I do is research what I'm after, screw your marketing, I try to get input from people who actually bought and use whatever. But, it wouldn't matter if you do, or not, because if I don't need glue at the moment, I'm not buying any. And, when I do buy glue, I'm not going to depend on marketing, or some stupid survey, I'm going to a store and buy the glue I want, which, as it happens, is Titebond II. However, I know there are other glues that work, so keep expressing yourself as poorly as you did in your original post, and I'm willing to consider changing brands. No prob.
Don't forget to sign up for a writing class.
JOAT "106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood
"Hit it." - Joliet Jake
The whole purpose of this survey was to find out opinions about a product for purposes of research and to possibly improve a product from your responses.
What I am not clear on is the whole purpose of this message board. To accuse, put down the efforts of others. I would think your time would be better spent woodworking.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (Franklin Univ Student) wrote:

Ya know, you would have gotten a very different and much warmer reception had you been forthright about your affiliation with Franklin International, instead of attempting to deceive us with this nonsense about a university research project.
FWIW, I notice that you're *still* posting from Franklin International's domain, not the university's.

The purpose of this newsgroup is to serve as a discussion forum for woodworking-related topics. It is not intended as a place for commercial businesses seeking marketing information to pose as university researchers.
You're in a hole. Stop digging.
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:17:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Ya really think so? I don't! lol

Good point.

He already TOLD you that he did it as part of his schooling...a project that was approved by the SCHOOL. Pay attention!
When YOU post here, do you post your employer affiliation? Does anybody else here?...except maybe Lee Valley. Why should HE be asked to state his company affiliation?
The survey could just as easily have been posted by anyone else in his study group. He would still have been a member of that study group...still a Franklin employee. So what?
You guys simply jumped his ass...without first knowing all the facts.
Quit diggin'.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
Franklin Univ Student wrote:

Welcome to USENET where for every person who has something to contribute there are ten who are here just to be annoying. Your killfile is your friend.
You would probably do better though, if you're looking for answers, to just post your questions here than to invite people to take a survey.

--
--John
Tue, Jun 1, 2004, 5:45am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (FranklinUnivStudent) whimpers: The whole purpose of this survey was to find out opinions about a product for purposes of research and to possibly improve a product from your responses. What I am not clear on is the whole purpose of this message board. To accuse, put down the efforts of others. I would think your time would be better spent woodworking.
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:05:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

And then...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ROTFLMAO !!!
Moreover, English may not his primary language be.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
Tue, Jun 1, 2004, 9:37pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Trent) English professor at large, stated: ROTFLMAO !!! Moreover, English may not his primary language be.
At least better the context expressed than he I. Yours up.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
Thanks for all your advise and criticism. All I can say is that I have learned something from all of this.
The survey is now closed. Thanks to the 100 woodworkers who took the time to help us accumulate the results that we received.
Franklin Univ Student wrote:

I've been using Titebond glue for a long time. I like that the behavior has been consistant and dependable; and that I've not ever even heard of a bad batch. Less than eight hours before this posting appeared, I was at the store replenishing my supply.
I recall recent posts quoting letters of assistance from Franklin (the glue folks, not the university) written to help ordinary woodworkers understand clamping requirements.
None of the above is the kind of behavior I'd expect from a deceitful organization.
This poster made the unwise decision to not reveal his/her employment relationship with the manufacturer - and (one would hope) has acquired even more education than expected; and (one would hope again) accrued a bit of wisdom that should prove useful in a marketing career.
[For the MRT-601 class (and instructor): Sometimes it's wiser to accept that results are biased; and that it may be necessary to go through additional effort to quantify that bias so that the biased results can be properly normalized.]
I plan to keep on using Franklin products as long as they're of consistant high quality, are priced affordably, and are readily available.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I have addressed all of the concerns that you have. If you have any further concerns feel free to post them. If not let's consider the matter closed.