Woodworking

Page 1 of 2
Would someone please explain what this Kerry/Bush bullshit has to do with woodworking?
Elling Iverson can't figure out:

Check out the OT in front of most of the posts. That means "Off Topic" and tends to mean the guys posting are discussing something other than woodworking, something that may or may not be bullshit of the purest ray serene, but that might also take place in a shop in a real life setting. So, on that basis, it's about woodworking.
Best bet: if OT posts send you up the wall, filter anything with OT.
Does Web TV filter? If not, simply avoid OT posts. They're dangerous. You might learn something. Or not.
Charlie Self "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out of it." Doris Day
Charlie,
fact is, responses don't always carry "OT:" in the subject. Second point is the Patriot guy is a troll, third point is there is a large number of wreckers who think it is ok to put this political crap in the group.
It used to be that politics, religion and sex were banned in some workplaces. In others it was an unspoken rule - for good reason. I don't mind the occasional OT thread myself, but if I want to follow American politics I'll go to a suitable NG. The 100-200 post superthreads in the wreck simply should not be here.
--
Greg

"Charlie Self" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message

Filtering would be more effective if people had the self discipline to not reply to every troll and off topic post, right Charlie?
I agree with your observation. I want to discuss carving and am teaching myself to work in the manner of the Vikings. Must be in the DNA,want to represent my heritage.Any thoughts?

Have you checked out the Vesterheim museum in Decorah, Iowa? http://www.vesterheim.org/ - the have a extensive museum, and contests and exhibitions. Good bookstore as well, might have something in there that's of use to you. If you're anywhere near Iowa, it's worth the drive to go to in person.
Dave Hinz
Karen, yes, start a new thread, maybe with the subject line "Wood carving, Viking style." This thread is destined to go into the trasher...
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:44:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (karen king) wrote:

I think I remember seeing both Kerry and Bush wearing a viking hat on some website somewhere once. Maybe it was www.jibjab.com ? You might want to follow the advice of TWS and start a new thread on Viking style carving...

karen king wrote:

Get your tools really, really sharp and match your design to the grain of the wood. Don't try to do fiddly little stuff on wood that won't support it. Oak is a traditional wood for Viking-era carving, but its too coarse grained for a lot of designs. Lime or Basswood is a better choice to begin with and Lime is also a traditional wood.
Depending on what you're doing you might want to spring for a Frost (brand name) curved knife. ($20 or less, available from Highland Hardware and a lot of other places.) Great for doing spoons, bowls, etc. Just remember to sharpen and hone it before you try to use it.
Study as many pictures as you can find. There are some subtleties to the various Viking styles that aren't immediately obvious. For example, pay attention to the symmetry (or lack of it) in those carvings.
Above all, have fun.
--RC

Lime is a traditional wood for Viking work? Serious question here, how do they get citrus trees to grow in Norway?

Lots of tools are available from vesterheim.org 's store, and they're used to shipping supplies, blanks, and tools to folks.
Dave Hinz

Lime - Tilia species, aka linden or basswood. You don't grow green lemons on it.
Small leaved limes are found in the Scandanavian countries, large leaved limes are only found in the Southern half of Europe (mid UK and South). Most of the limes we have today are a hybrid.

Ah. That I can see, in fact I've got hundreds of 'em growing on my land in a not-dissimilar-from-Norway climate (Wisconsin). So, what's the best way to handle a basswood tree to get it to be most usable for carving? I've got a clump of 'em overhanging what is going to be the back yard once I get the lawn in.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Carving blocks are much like turning blanks. Cut to size, anchorseal, store 'till dry in a "controlled" environment. Check for other opinions over in RCW.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Take the leaves off, ignore it for a couple of years. Lime has to be the easiest timber to season - it's very well behaved.
OK, so it's not _that_ easy. You need to split the log or you'll get splitting. But it's an easy season, even in 4" thick slabbed logs, or as big lumps for carving.
Don't let water drip on it, or you get water stain problems.
--
Smert' spamionam

Yay.

So bite-sized pieces, split down the middle, stack in non-leaky shed. Seems to be pretty forgiving. Thanks for that.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, first you cut it down. Then you ship the whole thing to me. Postpaid, of course.
--RC

Where are you at? If you're close, come one over and get some.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Terminology problem. English and European 'lime' is not citrus. It's closely related to American basswood and has much the same properties for carving. Stuff is a pleasure to work.
--RC

Elling Iverson wrote:

Now . .were it Carter, he's had stuff published in FWW.