Woodworkers Mecca?

There are places that woodworkers hope to visit before they die, preferably long before they die so there's time to make some pieces based on inspirational/stolen ideas.
For the Greene & Greene / Arts & Crafts aficionados I'm guessing it's the Gamble House in Santa Barbara, California. (is it just me or were these guys just Control Phreaks?) http://www.gamblehouse.org/photos/int/index.html
(if you have QuickTime definitely check out the "360 Virtual Tour")
For The Followers of Krenov it's the College of the Redwoods and environs
http://www.crfinefurniture.com /
Then there's the enthusiastic teacher's school and at least five ways to make just about anything you can think of.
http://www.marcadams.com /
And the Artists in Nature - The Anderson Ranch
http://www.andersonranch.org/workshops/temp.cfm?include=Furniture%20%26%20Woodworking
For the Closest To the Wood - George Nakashima
http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com /
And of course - Sam Maloof's place
http://www.malooffoundation.org /
What woodworking holy sites and what woodworker holy men would you like to get to before becoming tree food?
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

The Gamble house, along with its big brother, the R.R. Blacker House, are located in Pasadena, not Santa Barbara.
charlie b wrote:

I haven't been there (yet) but sjhould Colonial Williamsburg, VA be on the list?
--

FF

Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a machinery lover's heaven.
George wrote:
> Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a > machinery lover's heaven.
The village is NBD compared to others around the country, but the museum is a real jewel.
Plan on spending a full 8 hour day if you really want to see things.
There is plenty for the ladies as well as the guys.
A little tip:
A winter visit to the museum is not as crowed and a great way to spend a gloomy Dearborn day indoors.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Gillette Castle in East Haddam, CT From I-95N or S: take Exit 69. Route 9N to Exit 6 or 7. For the Chester-Hadlyme Ferry, use Exit 6. Follow Route 148 and park signs. The ferry operates spring through fall. http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks/gillettecastle.htm I didn't realize what it was until shortly before I left the area for the last time:-( Definitely worth a visit or twelve. Joe
Charlie B:

Well Pasadena, which is way south of SB. If in Berkley check out the Thorsen House - one of the G&G houses. It's a university frat house, but to be part of the fraternity, you have to commit to maintain the historical elements. They have done a great job.

But you know that Krenov doesn't teach there anymore. Right? From what I overheard in a local art gallery, they're having difficulties filling benches because of that fact.
As to new places:
1) How about Gustav Stickley's house! It's in NJ and info can be found at:
http://www.stickleymuseum.org/aboutcf.htm
2) Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesins (both the Wisconsin and Arizona schools of architecture.
http://www.taliesinpreservation.org /
3) In the same vein, FLW's studio/house in Oak Park, near Chicago.
http://www.wrightplus.org /
4) And while he'll never have a tour - Norm Abram's place - New Yankee Workshop:
http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml
MJ Wallace
I havew been influenced by Krenov ever since reading his exceptional books. Does anyone know where his works can be viewed?
On Nov 27, 1:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Jeez - I don't know but I typed "krenov" into Google and I got 152,000 hits so that might be a palce to start.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://jameskrenov.com /
stuff from the school
http://www.crfinefurniture.com/1pages/sitelinks/furniture.html
charlie b
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I saw a single piece of his in the Highland Gallery in Mendocino which the town south of Fort Bragg where the school is.
Cost $10,000.
I was there a couple of months ago and it's gone. I'd imagine most of his stuff is in private hands and won't be on display at all.
MJ Wallace
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: SNIP

SNIP
Anyone been to the Stickley museum? It's close by and I can have the kids meet Mrs. Claus http://www.stickleymuseum.org/christmas.htm
RayV:

Yes, I have and that's why I recommended it. It's very interesting, tho there is no workshop. Stickley had a NYC office and road the train into NYC from NJ on a daily basis. The property is about 1/3 of what it use to be, it's now cut by the highway. The house is very nice with a lot of original pieces.
I found it to be very enjoyable visit.
MJ Wallace