Woodworker to Carpenter Woes...

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.
While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help myself from:
- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and finish them - Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock. - Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material - Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner - Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw - Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery
The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed nail heads everywhere!
And did you use a few brads to hold the pieces until the glue dries??
Dave
Patrick Conroy wrote:

Yep... it's a LOT different but the skill set carries over both ways. The carpenter guys just don't screw around as much as the woodworkers. Framing nailers are a good thing.(dangerous but a good thing)
You get a lot more popular in the neighborhood when they find out you can "switch hit" on wooddorking/carpentry.
Patrick Conroy wrote:

I understand well.... I'm residing my house with Hardiplank and replacing the windows with new windows rather than replacement windows. I'm fixing all kinds of out of level/out of square situations with shims, tapered-on-the-jointer spacers, etc. While installing a mounting block for a flood light fixture, some 18 feet above grade near the frieze board, I was doing work that would pass scrutiny at eyeball level next to a doorway...
It's hard to get away from the furniture mentality... A number of years back I built wooden steps down the grade to the dog run. I cut huge dovetails to hold the two sides of the assembly together. Mind you this was with landscape timbers! ;-)
John
May your guilt-trip be a short one. It was only ONE playhouse that took you 4 days to complete. Less time than you would have invested in a furniture project. Next time, you are limited to the chop saw, a circular saw, the framing nailer, a framing hammer and a 25' tape measure.
p.s. Do NOT look at those 4x4's after the first summer of hot weather.
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:23:23 GMT, Patrick Conroy

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:23:23 GMT, Patrick Conroy

That goes for machinists turned woodworker as well. Differing stock thicknesses drive them nuts as do methods of measurement and error tolerances.
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:23:23 GMT, Patrick Conroy

What grit sand paper did you use to smooth the studs before staining them cherry?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
<snip>

REAL furniture guys use handplanes. Preferably those handmade in Portland.
Sheesh.
Patriarch

Started the progression off at 80 and then moved all the way...
...back to 36. why? thinking an axe would'a given a nicer surface to accept the minwhacks? :)
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/Woodworker-to-Carpenter-Woes-22236-.htm theboisshop wrote: I started in construction, came over to woodworking several years after that, and can't find it in me to go back. I've faced a few home ownership situations where I've now actually hired a carpenter to come in and do work that I COULD do. At the end of the day I'd rather spend time in my shop building furniture, and pay someone else to do the carpentry. I've gotten a few raised eyebrows from carpenters when they see my shop!
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:57:34 +0000, rob_at_newtonwoodworking_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (theboisshop) wrote the following:

I'm beginning to pay yard workers to come in and do my chores while I'm out making 3x their pay. It makes good sense. Especially when it's the type of work you don't like to do.
Congrats on making the step up.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!