woodworker stats

does anyone anywhere keep track of woodworker stats besides osha or another agency like that

things like

age years at it favorite tools injuries favorite joining techniques

etc

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'll answer your question with a question:

Have you ever taken a survey during which that data was collected?

I'll take a guess and say the answer is "no". I sure haven't and I'll bet that very few woodworkers in this group have.

If no one is collecting the data, then no stats can be determined.

P.S. I doubt OSHA cares about favorite tools and favorite joining techniques.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I occasionally see the number of ER visits due to table saws reported.

Reply to
Bill

From OSHA or NIH? In any case, I doubt that either correlate ER visits by joinery type. ;-)

Reply to
krw

For many of us that is a favorite tool. All we need now is age, weight, baldness factor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Read the reports and they tell a different story from the one that one imagines. Dropped saw on foot while moving. Pinched finger in belt. Splinter lodged under fingernail. All ER visits due to table saws.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But I wouldn't consider them woodworking injuries. Maybe the splinter, but certainly not dropping the saw on a foot.

If I hurt myself changing a tire, does that count as an automobile accident? Not to me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

From what I've noticed you left out the beardness factor... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Yep, 13 stitches in right thumb, filleted when installing overhead blade support and it slipped ... ER classified as "table saw accident", despite that blade was removed and saw not plugged in.

Reply to
Swingman

I suppose it would depend on what you're trying to prove by taking the "poll".

Reply to
krw

Should have said it happened in the bedroom on your trapeze. It could have been classified as an STD.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"Table saw accident" does sound a lot cooler than "Got a sliver under my fingernail."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If I was sitting around the campfire with a bunch of friends on a fishing trip and I cut myself while sharpening my steak knife, I'd sure have a lot of choices:

Fire Related Accident Gang Related Incident Fishing Accident Cooking Accident

;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sounds like attempted suicide to me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ya know - sometimes one can find the stupidist shit posted here....

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Of course, it's all of the above. Five accidents in one day proves that you can't take care of yourself and you need government's help. Oh, and since you attempted suicide, no guns for you!

Reply to
krw

Just run with it.

Reply to
krw

If the saw was a SawStop, I'd recommend you sue the bastards for not having sufficient high res lettering that the blade is sharp and could cut you if you slip, or that the blade didn't hide before any damage could occur if touched, whether the saw was running or just sitting there being totally unsafe...

Reply to
Jack

Perhaps you missed the part, DESPITE that the blade was removed and saw was not plugged in. He cut himself on the guard.

And FWIW it was/is a Unisaw.

Reply to
Leon

See how dangerous table saws are?!

I got a good cut (no stitches, though) on my UNisaw, with the blade in it. Of course it wasn't running at the time, but that doesn't seem to be statistically relevant. ;-)

Reply to
krw