Woodworker's Warehouse unfair sale practice

Page 2 of 2
To me it's unethical and I wouldn't do it if it were my business, but it's pretty simple, if what they do bothers you go somewhere else. That's freedom. They have the freedom to tick customers off, you have the freedom as a consumer to shop somewhere that doesn't. It works. It's when you try to legislate ethical business practice because someone has their verson of what is ethical, that it all gets screwed up because theirs and yours may be different. Patronize those businesses that you want to patronize because they have the product, price, support, customer service that fits you. Somebody may pay more for better customer service, the next consumer may be self sufficient and wants the best price.
Phil
George wrote:

Here's the reply I received from Bill Kearney, VP Store Operations of Woodworkers Warehouse:
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us regarding the BOSCH 4412 miter saw. I assure you we are not intentionally trying to take advantage of, or mislead any of our customers with our flyers. We do make price adjustments through the course of the year and it appears as though we increased the price without verifying the market price. Then our advertising department turned around and featured the saw as an off priced piece at the exact same price as it was before the event ran. To make matters even worse, the same offer is in the next flyer which is already printed ready to mail on Nov 20th. With this particular saw we did not do our homework, or properly present it as a true value to our customers. I apologize for the way the saw is portrayed. We are not in the habit of, and have no intentions of increasing prices just to have the ability to be "on sale". I have made the adjustment to the everyday market price on the saw at $699 and we will make a genuine effort not to have this kind of a thing happen again.
I value your business and appreciate your communication. Good luck with your new house, I'm sure your 20' x 60' space will make one great "dream workshop"!
Sincerely, Bill Kearney, VP Store Operations

If he really loved you he'd send you a discount coupon for another $50 off of it. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Tool margins on something like this are often pretty small. I remember once, maybe 10 years ago I worked in a medium sized hardware/lumberyard chain before HD came in and took over. We mostly sold tools to home builders, at a pretty low volume. The employees could buy anything in the store at cost+10%. Typically, buying a nail gun or whatever, the discount would be just enough to pay the tax... our markup on one item I remember in particular, a Skil 77 worm drive saw, was $7. We had to get them by the pallet in order to get quantity discount, and it took us all summer to move that pallet. The only way to beat it would be to get more aggressive pricing, buying 100 train car loads instead of one pallet, the way WalMart and HD do. (It also depends on how many middle men are marking up the price... they typically deal directly with the factory and are their own distributor of the product.)
Tom Crist wrote:

I think that was a great reply, he recognized what you stated and is changing things in accordance with that. Kinda strikes me as another Robin in that he's doing his best to provide both for us and his company, I'd never ask for more than that. Looks like a good company to purchase from to me. Thanks for posting this.
Scott
up later, the damage remains.