Woodworker's Warehouse unfair sale practice

Page 1 of 2
I have just moved into a new home with a 20 X 60 foot barn in which I plan to build my dream workshop. During a recent visit to my local Woodworkers Warehouse, I looked at all the new tools that I planned to buy to outfit my new shop. One of those was the Bosch, 12", sliding miter saw #4412. At $699 it was a lot of money, significantly more than the DeWalt saw, but it sure was nice! Over the next few weeks I returned to the store and had just about convinced myself to buy the saw - after all, I had a lot of trim work to do in the house before I could start on the barn. On my next visit to Woodworkers with credit card in hand I found that the Bosch saw was now priced at $729. I know that $30 is not a huge difference but the "sticker shock" and the fact that other tool stores in the area were selling the saw for $699 caused me to walk out the door. I didn't buy the saw that day. A few days later I received Woodworker's latest sale flyer in the mail and there was the Bosch 4412 saw "on sale" for $699 - the original price and the same price that other stores were charging. I complained to the sales people at Woodworkers and they said that they had no control over the prices and that the corporation set prices. My best guess is that the lead time to produce and mail the "sale" flyer was well before the store price was raised.
It seems to me that if the practice of raising prices just before a "sale" is not illegal, then it is at least unethical. I could almost understand it if all stores had to raise their prices due to a manufactures increase but this is not true as even today the Woodworker's web site lists the price at $699 with no mention of it being a special sale. In fact, while shopping for this saw, I have found prices as low as $640 and another that for $699, threw in a "free" circular saw. Everyone is in business to make money and I'm sure none of these stores are loosing money. The only thing that I can figure is that Woodworker's Warehouse is intentionally trying to mislead customers. In the past I have made many purchases at Woodworkers and I planned to continue this while outfitting my new shop. I usually shop around but often skip the low price guy in favor of the company that I think is going to give me good customer service. Sadly, Woodworkers Warehouse no longer fits into this category.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Tom

If you watch pricing at those other stores closely over the year, you will see them doing the same thing. People like to buy things "On Sale" and the retailer has to price merchandize for the sale. Some states require sales to be made at the higher price before starting sales at so many $$$ off, but most don't. That's the reason I am saying that if one is doing it in your area, they all are, including the grocery, discount department stores and Macy's & Bloomingdale's.
Tom J
Tom J. pretty well summed up a whole lot of words on the FTC site (unfair practices, etc.) which I searched about 6 months ago. In short, if you never advertised and sold a product at a higher price, then you cannot advertise it at a sale price - legally.
I also shop at WW and have a friend that works there. Pricing is done by corporate and to say they're a bit confused at times is being kind. In your situation, just ask them to do a price match (they will) and the store will call corporate who will confirm the price at the competitions store and if it's a valid apples to apples deal (not a close-out, refurb's or other discontinuing line type of sale price) they'll match it.
So don't blame the poor guy at the store...he has absolutely no control over the pricing and suffers with every mistake made a whole lot more than you. Doesn't make it right but hey, stuff happens.
Bob S.
Thats why there are other stores. Patronize them...
So I installed it on Linux...
Other stores??? In the NE US I thought we are lucky to have WWW (Yorktown NY), but after spending a lot of $$$ on rebuilding my workshop I quit going there over a "floor model" issue on a Delta contractor saw (they stripped some parts that only made the extension table work but they assured me that they would get them for me). Two years and too many trips/phone calls/faxes with schematics and parts lists later, I never did get resolution from the Mutt and Jeff team that tore it apart to begin with.
In the meantime I found an alternate "local" (ToolNut), prices about the same and I liked them. Guess what? Mutt and Jeff are now both working at that place and after spending even more $$$ I have to give them up also. The new Mutt (or maybe Jeff) at WWW disavows any knowledge of them ever working there and I figured out a long time ago that I was the "screwee" on that deal.
So now we get to the Borg. Hate that place. Local hardware store has prices in dollars that I can only envision in Pesos. Have bought my share of stuff on-line and find the prices are in-line but then UPS et al kills you. Thinking maybe time to take up some other hobby.

Local hardware store has

I think we must have the same local hardware store. Hinge I needed at local hardware was $4, at Lowe's 20 miles one way away $1.40. Local's explanation " if you go to the city to get it you will spend more in gas, get something to eat and wind up spending more on it anyway in the long run". I needed 10 of the things so even with gas and eats it would be cheaper to go to town. Local hardware has a mail flyer put out somewhere else and they never have the items in stock, but can get them in next Thursday if you pay shipping, only game within 20 miles so he stays open.
Sounds almost the same (for example my place gets $20 for a 3/4 Pony pipe clamp...beat that!!!)
I don't worry about a few bucks here or there considering the convenience, but when the list gets too long I suck it up and head to the Borg.

local
explanation
something
10
<snip> Other stores??? In the NE US I thought we are lucky to have WWW (Yorktown NY)<snip>
Woodcraft - Rochester,NY - Boston, MA and on Dec 15th Latham, NY (near Albany)

I can't WAIT for the new Latham Woodcraft. My local WW club advertised the opening in the latest newsletter, and I'll bet that the whole club will be there opening day. I'm looking forward to classes there.
Beats driving three hours to Boston anyway.
Jon E
"Jon Endres, PE"

NY to Boston? Save and hour and get off the turnpike at exit 10 in Auburn. Store is about an mile from the exit. Ed
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:00:42 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"

Wouldn't Hartford or Orange, CT be closer to you than Boston?
Barry
in message wrote:

Yes, barely, but Boston is somewhat of a second home to me and so there is where I prefer to go.
message

the
Hmmm... another NWA member?
John

Yes, I am. You?
message

Yes... Mid-Hudson Chapter.
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:21:07 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

Here in CT, we've got Tools-Plus, (3) Woodworkers Warehouses and (2) Woodcraft stores an hour's drive from each other. Then when you add in the zero drive time Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodhaven, and Tool Crib web sites, we've got some choices. <G>
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:21:07 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

Here in South Jersey we have SFA. Even the 2 local WWW packed up and left.
--
Cheers,
Howard

WW's prices change frequently... corporate sends out new price labels for the store shelves and they changed the color of the labels sometime this year. It didn't take long for almost every price label in the store to change to the new color!
That said, the easiest way to deal with this situation is ask them to do a price match. I've taken in local newspaper ads, flyers, catalogs, etc. and they matched with no problem. They've even matched Tool Crib monthly catalog sale prices without hesitation--I got $300 off on my jointer at the local WW store as they matched Tool Crib's sale price.
John
Ever really shop at Harbor Freight? I get their circular in the mail every two weeks like clockwork. Each ad is good for four weeks, which means that they always have two sale fliers that are good at any given time.
I have been shopping and lurking there about six months. Despite my qualms about buying Chinese they do have good deals occasionally. I buy American when I really can find a nice product that I would like to have, a 'heritage' tool that I can plan on passing down to my children. (And if I can afford it.) Another thing is that the Sears stockholders must have their ROI (return on investment). If you insist on giving the stockholders 15%-20% a year, your tool prices continue to rise faster than the rate of inflation (and a darn site faster than the rate of my pay raises: 8% increase in five years.) Anyhow I don't want to get into a flame war - back to my original comment.
The HF store in my area is about the size of an old time hardware/tool store sans lumberyard - meaning, with all the stuff they carry, it is jammed to the rafters (and a disorganized jumble sometimes.) They have a certain number of items that are on sale at any given time, and I would guess that those items total almost 25% of the stock items in the store. So, by virtue of the two advertisements mentioned above, 12.5% of the items go on sale every two weeks, for four weeks. I would venture a guess that every stock item goes on sale at least once every four months, going off-sale to the regular stock price for the remainder of the time. Some items, like thier $3.99 voltmeters, are almost constantly on sale - well over 50% of the time. So is it fair to the chap who doesn't watch the ads and gets it at regular price the day it goes off sale? Is the regular price the sale price or the stock price if it is always on sale? It is a fact of life.
They used to send me their fliers every two weeks prior to the reorganization. Never saw the best price for anything I wanted in their catalog. They would, however, have "sales" which matched the price in others' catalogs on the same item.
Guess they haven't changed.

SNIP