Woodworker's Pocket Ref. Book FA

Page 1 of 2

Probably not completely licit, but I'm auctioning off some autographed copies of my newest book, Woodworker's Pocket Reference Book.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF45626476&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

Agreed.

Doctrine of First Sale?
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:07:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Aw hell, Scott, why didn't you just tell him to piss off.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

You ignore the point.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Consider me "ordered" . . .look forward to seeing it . .

Not licit but you got an order!
Regards.

Haven't written a book, but I will send an autographed picture of myself for $7.50 plus postage and handling (even to Canada) . Hurry, quantities are limited.

B.
Charlie Self wrote:

A stealth ad, placed into your .sig appended to an on-topic article is less likely to draw complaints.
--

FF

On 2 Jun 2006 18:23:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Charlie Self has been a useful member of this newsgroup for longer than almost anyone on the current list.
If he wants to offer oldtimers a chance to get one of his books at a reduced rate and with an inscirption, I see no need for your misgivings to be expressed.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
I couldn't agree more, Tom. Charlie has answered hundreds of woodworking questions here on the rec, and has helped promote woodworking in more ways than I can count. If he wants to promote himself this once, I'd say that he's more than welcome to.
The book is excellent, BTW.
A.J.
Tom Watson wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

That would certainly seem to be a reasonable compromise solution.

There is no contention on that point. I'd even go further than useful, and toss out fundamental member, as Charlie is the one of the most prolific posters on this newsgroup and obviously knows whereof he speaks.

Your loyalty is admirable. However Charlie is offering the book with inscription through his auction on eBay. The discount is a discount from the cover price and is the Buy It Now price of his auction. Not sure how that can be construed to be a reduced rate for the oldtimers on this newsgroup.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I'm still posting through Google. So far, no sigs found and no filters, either, so the gross crap and the feebs who post casualty totals are too evident. In fact, it tends to keep me off here. I hope to get enough time to get my grandson to set me up with a new system that doesn't include Google Groups and AOL, but that's probably going to be a couple months. Got to make up time lost to having a big toe joint replaced this week...not a major deal, but it tends to keep me from heavy lifting for a week or two, and I can't finish the last project for my new book until I can stand for at least two hours at a time.
Charlie Self wrote:

Much as I would liek to have a Google .sig I have to think that they were wise to NOT include such a feature. But a .sig can be cut and pasted from an external window (Wordpad or some such) if it is worth the effort to the author. Some years ago a frequent participant in this ng included a 'stealth ad' for his table saw alignment device in his .sig and caught some flack from it. I didn't have a problem with it as he was posting on-topic.
Certainly if anybody does, posting in the newgroup itself is the wrong way to complain.

I'm guessing yo mean other clinetn software for accessign UseNet. I've tried a few newsreaders and don't like the interface. Quite frankly, I preferred trn over most.

In the short run, that can't be good for your balance either. Be especially careful on stairs or slopes.
--

FF

Good luck with the toe op. Do not get in a hurry to get back on your feet for long periods. Toe operations can be a slow road back to recovery to get past the swelling.
Leon wrote:

Surgery went fine, before and after x-rays strongly favor the "after", but the podiatrist has told me to quit walking so much, stay out of the shop, stay out of a buddy's recently burned shop and so on. No driving allowed for at least another week. Evidently, the flexing and rubbing I caused by walking TOO much create an infection, so now I get to swallow, twice a day, antibiotic pills that are almost horse sized.

THAT is always a good sign. LOL

I recall having toe surgery when I was a kid and the swelling seemed to last for ever. That however may have been from a Kid's point if view. LOL
I am glad to hear you are not really suffering from post op swelling. Don't rush recovery and good luck on a speedy recovery.

I ordered a copy from Amazon. sorry for any lost revenue ...
--
Best regards
Han

Hey Charlie, help me out here-
I've got a number of ww'ing books on my shelves already, though it may be time to add another, especially if it has something new to add. Not much of a description on the auction that I could see, though.
So, if you feel like it, why don't you sell it a bit- seeing as how you're resting up from the toe operation anyhow. I've already got a billion articles and chapters on things like making a *perfect* joint, tool reviews and basic descriptions of woodworking terms with diagrams.
What makes your book different than the hundreds of others? Just to make sure you're not misinterpreting the tone of this, I'm genuinely interested. There are all sorts of bits of information I'd love to have close to hand, like which blade tpi and set works the best with different species and thicknesses of wood, best types of fasteners and thread counts for different applications, suggested blade/router speeds, feed rates, etc. But another collection of blurbs on making a tight-fitting miter or a straight dado and tuning up a handplane or chisel is something I'm not in the market for.
It might help some others make the choice one way or another as well!
Alternately, a post of the Table of Contents on the auction would go a long way.