Woodworker's Journal Any Good?

This is the only Nook (love my Nook) woodworking rag I don't get to date. Is it worth it?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

GarageWoodworks wrote in news:Cc-dnWnRbPIF- LjNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@northstate.net:

Not IMHO. Seems to me that most of the articles are disguised advertisements for Rockler. (It's published by Rockler.)

Reply to
Doug Miller

for Rockler.

Ah ok. Thanks!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

for Rockler.

Not really sure I agree with that.

Like any mag, it's geared toward beginners. More ads than articles, the stuff repeats every year or so.

If it's 9.00 it's worth it. if its 15 its not... I look at it as something to keep me occupied when I'm bored and not doing one of my hobbies.

I don't get any magazines these days. But I did get WWJ for quite a while. That and Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, Woodworking, Woodworking was the most artistic of the bunch.

All mags today have little in terms of substance. Not like the fine woodworking of yester year with Tage Frid... That was good stuff. He was a good teacher.

Reply to
tiredofspam

To tell you the truth my subscription ran out about 6 months ago. I found that I was immediately tossing them into the garbage after thumbing through them one time. Seemed a waste of time and money. I figured that they are struggling and did not ask for a refund.

Reply to
Leon

I used to subscribe, but canceled several years ago after the second time they sent me stuff I never ordered. Since I threw it out I couldn't return it, and they got to the point of threatening me with bill collectors. Illegal as hell, but what do they care. I have not been in the local Rockler for that reason for at least five years. Good guys there, guys from the local WW club, but the mother company sucks.

There are a lot of other choices out there. If you already get all the others (American WW, Popular WW, FWW, Shopnotes, Woodsmith, Canadian WW (good read sometimes) and the stuff the Brits publish) try Woodcraft mag. At $10 a year, there is something in there that is worth reading. Does Workbench magazine still exist? I have not seen a copy in years. It used to be a good magazine.

Reply to
Roy

I have not been in the local Rockler for that reason for at least five years. Good guys there, guys from the local WW club, but the mother company sucks.

The Guy who owns (or runs) my local Rockler has a photo in their newsletter and website that looks like an angry serial killer. I finally saw him in the store one day and he looked exactly the same. I am sure he scares away customers with that sour puss.

Rockler has mostly OK stuff. Some of it is kind of gimmicky and some of it is good ideas poorly executed but like anything buyer beware and pick your products.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Jeez, guys. Do NOT toss ANY magazine. Take them to your local VA clinic or medical center.

Reply to
Charlie Self

medical center.

+1