Woodworker's Book Club

Anybody a member, or have any experience with this club?
http://www.woodworkersbookclub.com /
Sounds like it's super easy to join, but difficult to get out. I keep getting advertisements from them in the mail. (well, actually it comes in the wife's name, so I know Woodcraft sold our address to them) Seems like a good deal, and they have some good titles to choose from in the advertisement. However, I'm wondering if the "book of the month" is generally worth keeping, or is it going to be a hassle returning a card (or the book) constantly because the book of the month is a flop. I've really been looking for another source for books, as I've bought all the good ones around here. In fact, our local Borders and Barnes and Noble hardly have any woodworking books left on the shelf for the last year or two. Thanks, --dave

Former member... cancelled a while back, just due to having too many things going on, no real dissatisfaction with the club. Thinking about re-joining soon. The initial membership offer is a good deal; subsequently, you pay a little more for the books than you might on Amazon, but in the long run you come out ahead IMO.

Like with any book club, some are good, some are stinkers, and some are in between. Seems more good ones than stinkers IME, though.

You can "return" the card virtually, on their web site, too.

--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

I know what you're getting at, and I'm not paying word games here, but either you come out ahead, or you don't. There's no "opinion" to it. Did you run any numbers to figure out where the break-even point is (roughly) vs. Amazon?
--
You can't trade cash for skill. Sadly, I have neither.

I don't see what the controversy is all about. I think the club is a good deal. What I do is get my so-called free books and pay the 13 dollars or so and when the notice for more books comes in a month or so I write cancel my membership on the bill and return it to them. In other words I feel 13 bucks or so for 4 books is a good deal. In a few months or so when I get another notice to join again and it looks like there is some new books listed that I am interested in I start the process all over again. One is not obligated to buy more books. My 2 cents worth on this matter.
(Doug Miller) writes:

I've gotten a few books from them. If you prepay your order(s) you don't pay any shipping. Also, if you prepay your first order you don't have to return the card each time, and the book is not automatically sent. As mentioned by Doug Miller, some are good, some are crap, and some books certainly peek my curiosity. I initially got my Danny Proulx books through the club, and eventually with free points got a set of plans for free.
Works for me at this time.
Marc

still a member, got 2 excellent books on cabinets with plans etc. Shows you how to make abt any cabinet you want. Just a beginner myself so they are confidence builder. bk

While I've never joined that club, I did join another one by the same company, with the same deals. It is a hassle, they've sent books which I have cancelled and even though they will pay return shipping, that still means I have to go to the post office to get rid of them. In the end, I called their customer service and told them, in no uncertain terms, that I want to cancel my membership, effective immediately, and I would consider any further books sent to me to be a gift. They switched me from the "you have to tell them not to send a book" to the "they only send books if you ask for them" plan and I haven't seen another book since. I still get their mailers, even though my membership "exipred" a year ago, but I don't even look at them.
I've been a member for a number of years and am satisfied. I never have had any trouble with receiving books I didn't order and the club made me aware of many books I would have never discovered otherwise. I especially like their closeout fliers. The books sold on them are super cheap.