WOODWORK-L list

Hehehehehe I made a rule from the email that forwards their email back to them, from which they send a reply, and it forwards those back to them from which they reply again.......and it loops.
I wonder who has the most disc space on their server? Hehehehe just replaced mine last week with a RAID setup and LOTS of space...
Since you are documenting that you are doing this on purpose you cuold get sued, you know? You're basically doing a denial-of-service attack.
--
gabriel

I didn't ask them to email me in the first place. I am simply returning their email to them.. A college should know better than to send email like this...

Mark Hopkins wrote:

In for a penny, in for a pound. You might get quicker results if you cc'd snipped-for-privacy@indiana.edu
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Mark Hopkins wrote:

Fine, you don't have to convince me... I'm just giving you a heads-up because what you are doing is exactly what a denial-of-service attack is:
1) Intentional 2) Aimed at denying service of their server by overflowing it
I'm just letting you know because you just documented that it's intenational and that you will let it go until their server is down.
If you feel like you're safe, then keep doing it; I have no stake in the whole thing.
Good luck.
--
gabriel

It must have gotten the desired results. No more email from them in the last few minutes... we will see. My goal was not to crash their system nor fill it up. It was to let them know it was not configured properly... One email didn't work. Neither did two, but that last batch sure did!

<snip> A college should know better than to send email like

Guess where the little tramp of late has been posting through? Something called nym.alias which is tied to NYU and MIT. And I'll add that a lot of spam routes through "xxx.edu". You are giving "institutions of higher learning" too much credit.
Mark Hopkins wrote:

And each time it's forewarded, the document grows! I think I'm gonna head for high ground...
Gloat, neener, and driveby all in one - not bad.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Gee, doesn't that sort of tie up the bandwidth or whatever, too?
I simply sent the listowner a short, polite message calling the situation to his attention. As he gets similar messages from several others of us, I think he will look into things and make a correction. My guess is that someone has set things up so whenever some of us, who have recently posted our displeasure with the "potty mouth" postings of late, make a post to the rec. that post is dumped over to his list and then, as we are not members, the error message is sent back. (I'm not a 'puter geek so this is just my guess)
DexAZ

from
DexAZ wrote:

So did I (at 6:03 this morning). I suggested that if they couldn't fix it there, that they either block rec.woodworking inputs or block e-mail outputs to my domain. After four hours I sent an e-mail to Dr. Herbert and suggested that a call from his office might motivate an admin to install/activate an appropriate filter.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA