Woodsmith box joint jig

Page 2 of 2
On 8/3/2012 4:23 PM, Leon wrote:

Who knew you were such a fashion queen. What's wrong with the patina? I take my ROS and usually a green pad to clean the table if I want it that clean.
I don't use my ROS much anymore so it's a perfect use for it. Just cut up your rectangular green pad to a round pad... helps make the scissors sharp too.
On 8/3/2012 4:36 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Yeah, I set my old PC ROS on to pf a Scotch Brite and work in the Top Saver.
The glue works like magic though, put it on, take it off.
Jack wrote:

Take a pint of mineral spirits, add shavings of paraffin wax. Shake every day until no more wax dissolves. Put in a spray bottle (I use an aluminum spray can that is pressurized with compressed air). Spritz on saw table, lathe ways, vise screw etc. If stained or surface rust I use a green abrasive pad, wipe off with paper towels and reapply. Wipe off with paper towel. It is best to apply in the afternoon so it will dry and harden overnight.
I have been using this for 10 years with good results and have enough to last me another decade. I'm not stingy, just frugal. It's in the blood--half scotch and half water.
--
G.W. Ross

If I had only known, I should have
On 8/2/2012 2:20 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Been there, done that, except used lacquer thinner as the solvent. I did this because at that time, my basement shop would get an inch of water every time it rained hard. Fighting rust was a war. I replaced this practice with a 3M product called 3M dry lube. This stuff was awesome, but I could only get it through a friend that worked for 3M and got it at the 3M store in Minnesota. This stuff stopped all rust for 6 months at least and slick as wet ice. When I tried to replace my supply, couldn't find it, and even emailed 3M with the product number, photo of the can, and he said he never heard of it, couldn't find it. Later when I looked at TopCote, I noticed the can was VERY similar to the 3M product:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Lube1.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Lube2.jpg
so I went with it, and it seems about exactly the same. Way slipperier than the wax treatment, and far more durable. Can't say about the rust prevention as my shop is dry now, but I suspect it is the exact same 3M product I used years ago.

Same here, however Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, in the words of Joe E. Lewis, "I'm thirsty, not dirty.:-)
--
Jack
On 8/3/12 12:17 PM, Jack wrote:

That's good to hear, as I've seen that product in hardware store. I'll keep that in mind.
I picked up a can of Superlube Dri-film, which seems to be the same as Top-Cote, as well. Very slick, zero residue.
--

-MIKE-

I don't know about the Incra or sold plans part, but two issues that have plans are 17 page 12 and 131 page 26. Jig for anled box joints in issue 182 page 16. I use the router and Rockler's cheapie jig. Works fine, but not suitable for production runs. Not stout enough. The reference to the index has more entries under 'box joint jigs' and 'box joints', too. -J
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

The answer to your question is ShopNotes Issue #8.
On 8/2/2012 2:14 PM, Steve wrote:

Thanks, that's a very old issue. I have the plans and parts on the way from G. Ross. thanks.
On 8/1/2012 2:14 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

They appear to be "in stock":
http://www.woodsmithstore.com/wsboxjointjig.html http://www.woodsmithstore.com/boxjoint.html
On 8/2/2012 2:37 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Not the second item. it says tempoararily out of stock.
I thought it was very much like the incra. When the ibox joint jig came out I thought someone said it was very like the woodsmith one. I guess I mis understood ..
I have a box joint jig that I made from plans years ago... I can't remember I think it was Liz's box joint jig... I didn't keep the plan. I got it online a long while back.
Works ok, but has some issues... pain to get it right. So I was looking to upgrade.
says...

That's the plans with the hardware kit. The plans alone download from <http://plansnow.com/boxjoint.html .

I hadn't seen the Incra box joint jig. I've been using an Incra jig for probably 20 years now. Incra generally works on a principle of repeatable movement in controlled steps. I can't tell from what's on the Incra site if their box joint jig is based on different principles or not.