Woods of the World Pro

I am thinking about buying this CD.
It sounds pretty cool.
Does anyone have experience with it?
Is it easy to compare one species to another?
Everyplace I see sells it for $49.99. Anyone find it cheaper?
Thanks!
Rob
Unless it has been updated/improved in the last few years it is a marginal purchase. Programmed for Macintosh and very poorly ported to IBM. Aggravating.
But it does have a lot of good information in its database. Comparisons can be made.
-Doug

I was a sucker and bought it last ear. I'm running it on WinXP Pro. Big problem is that it fits in a small window in the middle of the screen and will not enlarge. The small wood sample makes comparative identification VERY difficult. Unless there have been vast improvements, I'd save my money.
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

+ + + What I've got is 2.5 I imagine it is a lot better than having nothing, but I only use it once a year or so. Trouble is that it was compiled by people having no beforehand knowledge of wood. Picking errors is like shooting fish in a barrel. On the whole a so-so product. PvR
PVR responds:

Agree. I've got the 2.5 and lightly regret spending the money.
Charlie Self
"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes
Guess I won't be buying it!
Thanks for the advice!
Rob

Thanks for the information. Placed my order.
Preston

out of the shop and said. . .:

if wood identification is your goal, save your money. try this link here, many species, color photos of finished and unfinished examples, property descriptions and more. Enjoy!
http://www.wood-worker.com/properties.htm
Traves
Very nice!
Thanks for the tip!