Woodriver Lathe Chuck

Hi Group, Can anyone tell me who makes the Woodriver lathe chuck? I need to contact them. I would like to know what the threads are on their adapters because I've acquired a three jaw chuck and need to convert it. Thanks, Jim

They might be the Woodcraft house brand. The woodcraft site has a bunch of "Woodriver" brand items, so you might start there. They might even have a manual on their website you can download and get the information you need.
Failing that, you can check the woodturning newsgroup.
-Nathan
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:48 -0600, James wrote:

While I've never used one, the horror stories I've heard about 3 jaw chucks make me wonder why you want one. Is there some specific use for which a 3 jaw chuck is better than a 4 jaw?
If not, I'd suggest just getting the Wood River chuck. I've got one and it works fine. The only limitation is that there aren't many different jaw sets for it. It comes with #2. AFAIK, a #1, a #3, and a small Cole jaw set with 8" capacity are it.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Ok -
I have both wood and metal lathes. Metal Mill etc. Both lathes have 3 & 4 jaw. The wood also has a nice wood chuck that is a 4 step jaw ... type.
3 jaw is a fast self centering chuck. A universal concept.
A 4 jaw can be magic! You don't have a true cylinder to chuck ?! A 4 jaw can hold lots of stuff and even hold it to the an offset because of need instead of kicking the taillstock sideways.
So a 4 can hold odd shape - and have jaws at unique positions. In fact one can use only 3 jaws in the 4 having one so far from the wood it can't get there.
Depends on the need -
Martin
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I did e-mail Woodcrafters and the adapter is a 33mm X 3.5 pitch thread. I'm having a machinist made me an adapter that is 3/4"x16tpi (may lathe spindle) to 1"x12tpi( the chuck) which was cheaper in the long run. I will be using it to bore holes and turn small wood parts. The price was right is why I got it. Jim

I believe Woodriver is sold at Woodcraft.com - hope this helps.