Woodpeckers?

Page 1 of 3
My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of them. My folks found the following: <http://www.kabatape.com but it's mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to accomplish the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.
Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

had them go through a gable end of cedar siding. I stapled 1/8" hardware cloth on the inside and plastered the holes with Rock Hard. They almost broke their peckers trying to get through that. Also, someone must have shot one with an air rifle, and the rest left. Tis was in Washington State.
I had another that woke me up every morning pecking on the top of a metal tennis court light in Arizona. A Harris Hawk showed up one day, and the pecker was gone...
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Thanks Doug, I'll give that a try for the repairs. Don't think I can make arrangements to schedule a hawk, so I'll have to try something else to get them to move on.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

chirping noises...
Lee Michaels wrote:

Eee-erp? Or was that before your time?
--John
A friend used compact disks (CD's) hung on string or monofilament with some success. Just blank ones that have not been labelled works fine. Hang them from the drip edge of the roof. When the disks fell down, the birds came back.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:13:45 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Tom Kendrick wrote:

Tom,
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that on the part of the shop where they are attacking under the gable.

Now that I think about it, I was talking to a tree removal expert (urban logger). He said that woodpeckers just love dead trees. He often leaves a trunk and a couple branches jusr for the woodpeckers. He has even brought a dead tree to another location and mounted it on a solid platform, just for the birds. I don't know if they will leave your garage for a dead tree though. But it is an interesting idea.

I had a problem with a flicker, and this worked: http://www.bird-x.com/irritape-p-15.html not cheap, nor is anything that this company sells, and may not be any more effective than the CD idea. They do sell a lot of other options, too. Here in OR, it's illegal to shoot flickers or woodpeckers. Best of luck, Kerry

Woodpeckers don't peck for no reason. They come back to places where tasty bugs live. Have you sprayed the siding with insecticide?
otherwise - Have you tried rubber toy snakes and/or owl decoys? Fake owls need a movable head or even motorized wings. Stationary ones get ignored eventually. Yellow glass eyes help. Farm supply stores often carry them. Also - http://www.shopwiki.com/search/Owl+Decoy Some places also sell hawk decoys.
Axel
Axel Grease wrote:

had one rat-a-tatting on our tin roof for days . Nothing tasty there.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

They aren't necessarily *finding* bugs. They are searching for bugs as they tap likely place which sound like there may be bugs there. (symantics) For instance, My T1-11 siding is perforated everywhere there is a void in the plywood. Not a flame, Axel. Just a note from my particular experience. Why they keep returning to certain places is a mystery to me.

You're absolutely right. They'll find the voids in the plywood siding and tap away, bugs or no bugs. Tom

Not read as a flame.. no problem.
It might help if we knew what kind of woodpeckers are at work drilling on their shop. Around here, we get everything from the huge Piliated woodpeckers to cute little Downys. In 50+ years in the hardwoods of the frozen North , I have never noticed woodpeckers drilling deeply unless hungry. Up here, they must eat a lot to stay warm and alive. Luring mates usually has other forms of behaviour... nest making high up in trees, dances, or shallow drumming on hollow limbs high up in trees... which resonate much better than T-111 siding. Maybe Mark and Juanita don't have enough big trees with dead limbs as an alternative for the local birds.
As for Gerald Ross, whose woodpeckers were banging on a tin roof... we do get some birds doing odd things here too. Robins and Chickadees often fight with their reflections in windows or even chrome vehicle bumpers... ducks occasionally fly straight into picture windows too. But I always figure those are exceptionally dumb individuals, or birds with bad eyesight.
Axel
Axel Grease wrote:

I've got to research the species, but these are native to the Sonoran desert.

Yep. Not a lot of dead trees and branches, even in our desert (definitely more lush than the Chihuahuan desert or Mojave, but buildings and yards are more attractive to the birds.

Ours do that consistently during the spring and early summer.

Axel Grease wrote:

In this case, they are pecking away for no reason. This is particle board siding, there are no bugs inside or out. Some of this is the pecking to attract a mate by making loud noises.

I'll have to look for an owl with moveable head, they certainly aren't intimidated by the stationary one. I won't keep rubber snakes about -- we've got too many of the real ones and I don't want anyone to become complacent.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

That doesn't sound like a non-reason - humans do a lot of less than reasonable things to attract mates...
Have you considered building a woodpecker/flicker drum for then to hammer on?
:-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Got any plans?

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I'm willing to give it a try - but I'd bet that anyone with instrument (for sound board) and/or speaker enclosure experience would be able to do a lot better job.
Hmm - I haven't played with SketchUp for a week or so. Could be interesting...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I gave it a shot. 'PeckerDrum drawing posted to ABPW. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar