Woodpecker Rules

Page 4 of 4
Larry Jaques wrote:

I treat every gun like it's loaded, and the safety is off, and the hammer might fall.
This is an old story (there may be a better article about it): http://www.examiner.com/article/cnbc-airs-documentary-on-remington-700-rifle-accidental-discharges
Bill

As you should.

A 30.06 rifle is not the same as a .45 handgun, Bill. It doesn't even have a "hammer". Plus, those Rems definitely aren't supposed to do that. It sounds as if the higher-ups in Rem made a Ford-Pintoesque decision. Really dumb.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
Larry Jaques wrote:

I was just making the point that hammer don't just "not fall" because they are not supposed to. BTW, with regard to your remark--both guns fire center-fire cartridges, that makes them the same sort of machine to me.

<muffled expletive> See the exploded drawings for pistols vs. rifle bolts. Here are two: http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Colt-/1911-Government-Models-sid141.aspx http://www.gunuts.com/view.php?view tails&model_idR&type=2
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
In the case of the ".45" the OP may be speaking about the model 1911 and the changes Colt adopted when going from the series "series 70" and older pistols to the "series 80." The "series 80" guns have a plunger & linkage that blocks the firing pin from moving forward if the trigger is not depressed, and also changed the half-cock configuration somewhat. Some other manufacturers of model 1911s have adopted these or similar changes too. With the older designs, it is possible that with a round chambered, if the pistol dropped onto a hard surface at the right (wrong?) angle with enough force, it could fire. Note that these accidental discharges are not from the "hammer ready to fall" but from inertia moving the firing pin with enough force to strike and fire the cartridge primer. (The hammer might fall in some cases too, but that would indicate something in the gun was broken or modified incorrectly)

On 1/20/2013 8:18 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

45 auto. Put the clip back in the gun, released the slide and pulled the trigger to uncock the hammer but the hammer slipped.
At least the bullet hit the right person.
On 1/19/2013 8:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Not the first time the threat of gun control has entered politics. I suspect gun shops and manufacturers actually look forward to yet another threat of more regulation, it brings the paranoid out to buy guns.

Actually I am considering not going for the first time in 30+ years. The Wood Working Shows is probably attractive if you have not been to many shows. But in the past the shows used to attract every brand name you could think of. Compared to 8~10 years ago when they were bigger, think the size of a couple of your local Super Markets put together compared to a single convenience store. Currently the Houston show is outside Houston in a smaller adjacent town, at the high school gymnasium.
BTW, what city was your show in?

On 1/20/2013 10:22 AM, Leon wrote:

Haven't been in the last three years, and the only thing I miss is the opportunity to buy another WWII at a discount. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Leon wrote:

I went to the show in Indianapolis.It appears that it may occupy twice as much floor space as the Houston show. Peachtree Woodworking must occupy close to 1000 square feet on their own. I would guesstimate the number of exhibitors at 25 (Doug Miller, What is your guess?).
I think it was easier to get a seat for a workshop then in recent years. I'm not sure whether this was due to them having more of them going on at the same time, or whether attendance may have been slightly less. Maybe both. $10-12 admission, $5 parking.
Bill

I'd put the size of Peachtree's booth at about 1600 square feet, actually. It's huge.
I think the number of vendors is probably closer to 35 than 25, too -- there are a number of small booths, perhaps only 8'x10' or so, near the entrance.

Seemed that way to me, too.

I think attendance was down this year compared to last -- probably due in part to the huge attendance at the gun show right next door. I'm guessing some folks went to the gun show who might otherwise have gone to the wood show, and there may have been a few people intending to attend the wood show who saw the heavy traffic trying to get into the fairgrounds and gave up and went home.

Admission was actually a dollar cheaper this year ($10 online vs. $11). I don't remember when they raised parking from $3 to $5, but I think that was a couple years ago.
On 1/28/2013 12:20 AM, Mike M wrote:
> The only question I have, as you don't show a width dimension, is will > all your present clamps fit on it. Not to mention the additional > clamps you add? I like the design so it's a simple question. > > Mike M

The base is 30"x 30" (or 27" x 27" on the inside). I can indicate more dimensions on the drawing. I think that, once you count your clamps, the main thing you need to know if that the risers lean 9-degrees--it's a compromise.
I should lay out my clamps and see how much space they take up! : ) I believe what I've drawn will be adequate for me for now.
Bill