Woodpecker Rules

Page 3 of 4

It's not a bad idea... I haven't gotten that far yet.
One company makes safety glasses that use a lense insert rather than modifying the shield part. It's much cheaper than their prescription safety glasses offering and the shield is replacable if it gets scratched or broken.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130119/NEWS/130119008/Accidental-weapon - discharge-sends-Indy-gun-show-patron-hospital
If Rose and I had left the Woodworking Show only five minutes later, we would have been right in front of that building when it happened. We heard a whole lot of sirens as we were getting into the car to go home, and saw an ambulance leaving the fairgrounds as we headed west on 38th St.
Guess that explains it.
What an idiot.
email.me:

[clown shot himself in the hand while reloading a handgun]

Oh, I dunno, there might be some entertainment value in delving into it... I'm still trying to figure out how you can manage to shoot yourself in the *hand* while reloading a handgun.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:18:29 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Easy enough to do, depending on interpretation of when loading starts and stops. Think about ALL the steps, such as picking it up (wrongly) and putting it down (wrongly). I think it is done during the beginning or end of the procedure, not the actual putting bullets in a clip. Dammit, I thought I shot them all.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is true or not that the hammer's can fall on those 45's without pulling the trigger? The hammer "ready to fall" sort of bothers me (compared to a revolver).
On 1/20/2013 10:23 AM, Bill wrote:

On the Colt 45 auto, the hammer will not release of the gun barrel is pushed towards the hammer and or if the back of the grip is not depressed. There is a built in lever in the grip that must be depressed for the hammer to release.
Had he released the slide prior to putting in the clip this would not have happened, there would have not been a bullet in the chamber. As it is he probably reloaded in the manor that immediately chambers a bullet when releasing the slide. In the later sequence the gun is ready to fire immediately.
On 1/20/2013 10:43 AM, Leon wrote:

Point of order... Lest we here start to sound like ignorant media types...
I've twice read of "clips" in this thread. Clips were used in olden times to hold a loading of rifle cartridges together for rapid insertion into the rifles MAGAZINE. The only clips I am aware of with regard to handguns or, for that matter, any modern firearm are "half moon" clips which are used to hold .45Auto cartridges in the cylinders of certain revolvers chambered for same.
Guns do not possess free will. They only fire when external forces intervene, like a finger inside a trigger guard when the person has no intention of firing. It's no accident, it is, at best an "unintentional discharge" but usually just stupidity.<g>

Yep, forgot all about those moon clips ... you needed someway to hold them for the firing pin, and to pull them out of a revolver that would use the same rimless 45 ACP as the 1911.
Wayback machine ... :)
Reminded me to talk to my 90 year old Dad and discuss the disposition of the 1911 he brought back from WWII .... however, the way he's going he'll outlive me.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

In addition to the half moon clips there were full moon clips for revolvers also... and stripper clips for some of the old semi-auto handguns with fixed magazines. We can probably expect a return to fixed magazine semi-auto pistol technology to get around the new 7 round limit in NY... people will buy them!
When it comes to guns it's hard to find anything that can be said with certainty!
John

Here's one:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5835628176698273074
;)
--
On 1/20/2013 2:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5835628176698273074
LOVE IT!
Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5835628176698273074

I like the sign (on the outside of a door) that says "This door is just here to protect YOU, NOT ME" (picture of gun below the words)!
On 1/20/2013 3:54 PM, Bill wrote:

One of my neighbors has a small sine near his door that says,
There is nothing in this house worth dying over.
On 1/20/2013 4:12 PM, Leon wrote:

I can just see it now ... all three, on separate posts, a la Burma Shave, on the way up the driveway.
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Swingman wrote:

Now that's funny. Read a bunch of examples here for inspiration and a smile--better than being locked in a cell, without a file:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma-Shave
Bill wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Spring has sprung, The grass has riz, Where last year's, Careless driver is, BurmaShave
Still remember this one that appeared on US-30 (Lincoln Highway) West bound between Wooster, OH and Mansfield, OH, probably about 1950.
Lew
Bill wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- Another one. ************************** That barefoot boy, With cheeks of tan, Won't let them chap, When he's a man, BurmaShave
Probably also someplace along US-30 (Lincoln Highway).
Lew

I think you are confusing "clips" with "stripper clips".
http://www.google.com/search?q=ammunition+clip&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lUr8UJW5EIPx2QXD0oCwBg&ved AoQ_AUoAA&biw33&bihg9#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=+ammunition+%22stripper+clip%22&oq=+ammunition+%22stripper+clip%22&gs_l=img.3...11074.13681.6.13822.11.11.0.0.0.0.31.320.11.11.0...0.0...1c.1.t6eJ_xuz5SE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.b2I&fpb7bb1d84fcd41d&biw33&bihg9
Clips in general hold ammunition. Stripper clips enabled you to you to quickly strip the ammunition, whether it be into a weapon or simply to empty the clip.
The more commonly referred to "clip" houses the ammunition inside the gun, this is a modern and common style of clip.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Glock+clip&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G0z8UJ3SF4XI2AXooIGwDg&ved EQQsAQ&biw33&bihg9

On 1/20/2013 2:02 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ammunition+clip&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lUr8UJW5EIPx2QXD0oCwBg&ved AoQ_AUoAA&biw33&bihg9#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=+ammunition+%22stripper+clip%22&oq=+ammunition+%22stripper+clip%22&gs_l=img.3...11074.13681.6.13822.11.11.0.0.0.0.31.320.11.11.0...0.0...1c.1.t6eJ_xuz5SE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.b2I&fpb7bb1d84fcd41d&biw33&bihg9
http://www.google.com/search?q=Glock+clip&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G0z8UJ3SF4XI2AXooIGwDg&ved EQQsAQ&biw33&bihg9
And to clarify,
http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/clip.html

Anybody who does anything like that shouldn't be handling a firearm. (and won't be in the near future) Nor should the owner of the firearm be allowing it. CROM, what idiots.

I don't know what you mean by "those 45's" (maybe a link in a post by someone I have filtered) but the ready answer is "No, they shouldn't be able to." And that's another reason all Americans should be schooled in weapons handling at an early age. So they know this and avoid it, and they know enough to -stop- someone who is not so taught before it becomes a problem.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama