Woodpecker Rules

Page 2 of 4
On 1/17/13 9:43 AM, Bill wrote:

I got the 38 when it was on sale and I've been very pleased with it.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/17/13 9:24 AM, Bill wrote:

Not it it cuts true. :-) Just be sure the combo square is square. If it's a Starrett, it probably is. It's tough to find generics that are actually square. "get what you pay for" and all.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/17/2013 9:24 AM, Bill wrote:

Depends upon the tool being setup, and to a point, the precision to which it is capable of being setup.
IOW, a high quality cabinet saw or jointer may allow more precision than most of the cheaper contractor saws or jointers ...
... although there is really only one way to adjust the miter slot to be parallel to the fence on most table saws, and that is by loosening the top, and banging it into alignment with all the precision of a hammer/mallet ... :)
As contrary as Ed Bennett can be, he makes one of the finest tools for woodshop tool setup that can probably be found on the planet.
The T-S Aligner Jr:
http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsalignerjr.htm
Not something that you will use all that often, but it is indeed the "Premier" tool for the job, and well worth owning if you're really serious/AR about precision setup.
And yes, I do own one, and value it to the extent of having made a custom case for it:
http://e-woodshop.net/images/TsAlignerCase.JPG
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I don't know how highly you regard Grizzly. But's that's the direction I'm heading (Models G0690 TS, and G0490 jointer). I even made a special trip to their showroom last summer while I was driving through MO--and got the T-shirt.
On 1/17/2013 1:39 PM, Bill wrote:

Nice saw. If I had the budget and had to replace my Unisaw with something similar ... a made in Canada, General 650 would be at the top of my list.
Had the pleasure of using one a few years back and was more impressed with it than any other TS I've ever used, including the older Powermatics and Grizzly.
And, in this day and age, and with the slightest chance of someone else using it your shop and you needing to protect your assets from liability, a Sawstop.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 1:39 PM, Bill wrote:

FWIW I don't know of any one that does not make a respectable "true" cabinet saw. The Griz you mentioned above should be fine.
Contractors saws are a totally different matter and you need to do your home work if getting one.
On 1/17/2013 10:18 AM, Swingman wrote:

Agreed on most cabinet saws. The top and trunnion on a cabinet saw are both attached to the cabinet.
But you bang the trunnion on the typical contractors saw. The trunnion is attached to the top and the top is attached to the cabinet.
On 1/17/2013 4:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Now, if you really want to get technical, there is nothing to stop you from loosening the top of a cabinet saw AND <wait for it> banging on the _cabinet_ instead. LOL!
The point being of course, on either ... with all the precision you get from "banging" on something. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 5:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

;~) and I was not trying to get into a pissing contest.

I was wondering. Does the Aligner fasten down in that t-slot before you engage the measuring mechanism?
I'm thinking that because it can slide in the t-slot, that there would be some slop in the measuring caused by it, as small as that slop might be?

None at all, because it doesn't slide, it rolls. Simple engineering principle ... A precision bearing, or wheel, makes continuous and intimate contact with the surface it rolls/rides against.
Three precision roller bearings form a triangle ... two fixed, and spaced apart bearings roll against the same side wall of the machined miter slot; a third, adjustable bearing, centered between the two fixed bearings, rolls against the opposite wall of the miter slot.
Simply place the unit in the miter slot and adjust the middle bearing so that all three bearings contact, and are touching/rolling against both miter slot walls.
Result, no "slop" at all.
Ed Bennett is one helluva engineer, and that fact shows in every aspect of his product.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

I've bought a few of their products, always high quality. Occasionally they have great deals on clamps and drawer slides.
Mike M
Bill wrote:

I went to the Woodworkingshows event today and ended up getting Woodpecker's 24" woodworking rule (it just "feels good" and heavy). I went back to the booth later and got the "rule stop". They practically had to pry the credit card out of my hand for that--but "accessorizing" the rule felt right--and the rule stop will help me make use of the rule that much more. I ordering the 38" Straight-edge from Lee Valley. LV didn't bring one to the show, but they are taking care of shipping and sales tax (for all orders placed at the show). Also ordered their "Chemical Splash Goggles", a polycarbonate, that are able to go over regular glasses to use as safety glasses. They are supposed to be "fog free" and I am hopeful they will work out.
The show was good. I thought the presentation by "The Coach", Andy Chidwick, on wood-bending was particularly informative. He has a school in Montana. Roland Johnson had a lot of information about bandsaws and bandsaw blades too. He pointed out that he wrote a book on them, and it looks like one I may collect down the road (Taunton had alot of their books for sale, all the full suggested retail price).
Across the steet, folks lined the building by the hundreds all day (surely, many thousands in all), to get into the "Gun Show". With Obama doing what he is doing, there is alot of interest in the 2nd Ammendment! There was reportedly more gun show attendees than ever--by a landslide. And I have a hunch folks are buying. According to the news, someone shot themselves in the hand, by accident, in the parking lot as they were leaving.
Watch for the Woodworkingshows if it comes to your area. Lee Valley has some nice stuff to see! ; ) I pick up some of the same tools at their booth every year, it's like they are becoming old friends! lol
Cheers, Bill
*snip*

*snip*
Let me know how that works out. I've tried to get goggles or safety glasses that work properly with my glasses, and they all fog up or have some other problem. (One set of OTG safety glasses had terrible reflections.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Use a face shield. The only times I've ever had fogging problems with a face shield, I've been using it outdoors in very cold weather (e.g. while using a chain saw to cut up a fallen tree in January).
There are multiple reasons for using a face shield instead of goggles, IMHO: 1. more comfortable 2. doesn't fog 3. easier to put on 4. because of 1 thru 3 above, you're more likely to use it 5. much better field of vision 6. there are other things on your face besides your eyes that are worth protecting.
"Doug Miller" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Buy the right unit and replacement shields are low cost and simple to replace.
Check WW Grainger or a safety supply house.
Lew
"Doug Miller" wrote

7. Much easier to clean. I use alcohol to clean mine. 8. The face shield is easily (and economically) replaced.
I have always been a safety freak. I grew up among folks who weren't. It was a burning ambition of mine, when young, to NOT get maimed like others I have known.
I can't remember the specific incident. But I got hit hard in the face shield once. It was loud and knocked me on my butt. I sat there with my head ringing. Not only does it protect a much bigger area, but it absorbs more shock. Think about it. I am a big guy. The impact knocked me over. Imagine what it would have done to my face if the face shield was not in the way.
On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:45:01 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old. At times, they are a PITA for one reason or another. Then I take them off at the end of the day to clean them and often think, "sure is nice to have to wear them".
In the course of our daily life, lots of stuff gets onto your face and eyes. Fry up some bacon, cut the grass, cut some wood, they take a look at what has accumulated.

I've got a Trend AirShield Pro that I'm only partially satisfied with. I agree with most of what you've said, but disagree on 1 and 3. I know it's more than just a face shield, but it's the only way I've found to keep the fogging down. (It also lets me get away from using the mask, which is nice.)
I did buy a face shield from Home Depot some time ago (at your suggestion, actually) and found that either it or my glasses still fogged up.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 1/19/2013 10:11 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Why not just get a set of prescription safety glasses? Well worth the price considering how much time you probably spend in the shop.
--
Jeff