Woodowrking school recomendation

Page 2 of 2

I teach router-woodworking year round on the west coast. One-on-one. See http://www.patwarner.com
I have attended three different programs at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine. Each was terrific and I would recommend the Center to anyone who wants to immerse themself in woodworking for a couple of weeks. The facility is wonderful - well equipped and a beautiful campus setting. Maine itself is of course beautiful.
I have also attended a brief weekend workship at the American Sycamore Retreat. The program was excellent. The people were extremely nice. The facility however is not on a par with the Maine school. This is not a reason to rule them out - I'm just pointing out differences.
I think you could return from either program with a piece of furniture.
Please email me directly if you have specific questions.
whit wrote:

This would be very disappointing news. Mike and Dana run friendly programs in a fine facility that is convenient to many of us in the Midwest. Their guest instructors have included many prominent American woodworkers.
Did you attempt to contact them before making such a statement?

No mention of it on their website and they've got a 2005 calendar of operations. http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com /
Upscale wrote:

I've talked to Mike recently. He and Dana still very much in business, and doing well. It's unfortunate that people repeat what they've been told without checking on its veracity. People who put their lives into what they do can be hurt by thoughtless words, not to mention the financial damage to their livliehood. Call Mike and tell him hello if you feel like it, he posted his 800 number just the other day. I'm sure he'd appreciate the support.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

A few years ago, I took a week-long furniture building course at the Heartwood School (http://www.heartwoodschool.com ) in Massachusetts. They mostly do house building and timber framing, but have some furniture courses too.