Woodowrking school recomendation

Page 1 of 2

Hi All, I am looking for a woodworking school recomendation. Somewhere I can advance my skills and possibly (but not necessary) bring home a piece of furiture in the process. Classes that last no longer than 2 weeks. Anyone have experince with any of the following?
1.Center for Furniture Craftsmanship on Maine 2.Lonnie Bird's in Tennesee 3.Rosewood studio in Almonte Ontario
Location is not a problem as I am willing to travel.
I was also thinking of American Sycamore Woodowrkers Retreat in Indaina but I heard they went bankrupt
Whit

<http://www.northwestwoodworking.com/about.html
See Distance Program.

Those folks have really good reputations. What do you want to build?

And yet you mention primarily East coast and heartland locations...
Elsewhere:
William Ng Woodworking Schools in Anaheim, CA (?) ((LA basin for certain)) has a strong lineup of teachers, with first rate credentials. I wish I had the chops to make a course there worth my time and money.
Five or 6 really strong 'local' programs in the SF Bay Area, with small classes and excellent craft/art focus. Many instructors are alumni and/or adjunct faculty at College of the Redwoods, the school that Krenov led for two decades.
UC San Diego has a leading edge furniture design program. Not my style, but it may be yours. Prepare for your world to bend.
Several strong Colorado programs. A really good program in the Texas hill country, focused on traditional forms, and native woods. Pacific Northwest opportunities too numerous to mention, including traditional wooden boats. Woodturning symposia sufficient to mulch Montana...

Indaina but I heard they went bankrupt

I don't think so.
But it's July 1. You may be late in planning this summer's schedule. Many of these fill up months in advance.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

I'm local to the SF Bay Area, and would be interested in any info you might have on the programs you metion above. Mind elaborating (on the boards or direct email)?
Thanks in advance, Buzz
David Marks also teaches classes out of his shop in Santa Rosa, CA.
Check out his website for class schedules.
http://www.djmarks.com/classes.asp

I've taken courses at Alameda Woodworker Academy. You always come home with a project. They have a web, site just do a search for Alameda woodworker Academy. He's not a movie star(magazine star), but certainly an excellent teacher. Most importantly, he stresses safety.
Don

The site is:
www.woodworkeracademy.com
Yep, Jerry is an EXCELLENT instructor. You will learn a lot.
MJ Wallace

Mt Diablo Adult Education, Pleasant Hill, CA - fairly full range through intermediate levels. Many of the instructors have had summer CR experience. Good folks. affiliated with www.diablowoodworkers.com
Arnold Champagne, SF. Arnie did the program at CR, and drank the KoolAid. Gorgeous veneer and joinery work. Chairs, tables and small objects are his specialty. Small, short-duration, repeat classes (think 2 to 3 day sessions, every 4-6 weeks.)http://www.champagnesfurniture.com/
Jay Van Arsdale & John Lavine (& others, I'm sure) teach in the area, based in and about the Laney College program in Oakland. Jay has a specialty in Japanese style and design sensitivity. A pro woodworker of my acquaintance trained with him, and cannot speak more highly of him. John Lavine edits Woodwork Magazine.
What MJ Wallace said about Jerry in Alameda agrees with every one I've talked to who has taken classes from him. It's a worthwhile investment.
John Grew Sheridan teaches in the area. I think he's at the Academy of Art near the SF waterfront, at least part time. Arques Wooden Boat school in Marin County. As several others have mentioned, David Marks in Sonoma County, as well as Brian Condrian, Michael Cullen, Greg Zall, Seth Janofsky and others of the marquetry wizards. Sonoma County Woodworkers is a good starting point for contacting them. http://www.sonomawoodworkers.com/
Bay Area Woodworkers http://www.geocities.com/bawanewsletter /
Baulines Crafts Guild http://www.baulinescraftguild.org /
There is reliable information about Sacramento activity, too, but I haven't met any of those folks yet. And more is going on in the South Bay, but again, that's not in my regular circles.
I KNOW I've left out a number of really good teachers and craftspeople. We didn't even start on turners, finishing experts or restoration/period types. There are a more options than can be taken advantage of here. Something should work for you.
Patriarch
Thanks! Great info!
Buzz
Patriarch wrote:

Thanks Patriarch,for the tip on the William Eng school. I found their website and they look very interesting. Does anyone have any experince with them?
Whit
Patriarch wrote:

Hi Patriarch, Could you elaborate a little on the local SF Bay Area facilities? Laney College perhaps? I'm interested in taking classes too and live in Alameda.
Thanks for your help.
Mike Dembroge
Patriarch wrote:

Just wander over there and listen for the power tools! They have a wood technology program, with a (commercial) cabinet making focus. centered on getting folks jobs in the industry. Or so I'm told.
I haven't been, but some folks I know thought the program worthwhile.
My focus is somewhat more esoteric, as a hobbyist in sawdust therapy. Mt wife claims I have always been somewhat of an elistist yb. ;-) And yet, she stays married to me these 32+ years. Must be some sort of codependency thing going on here. ;-)
Patriarch
Hi Whit, ASWR 's Mike posted just above. Their web site still works. Cheers. JG
http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com /
whit wrote:

"1.Center for Furniture Craftsmanship on Maine " I would like to hear more about this school. Quite a nice vacation spot also.
"I was also thinking of American Sycamore Woodowrkers Retreat in Indaina bu"t I heard they went bankrupt "
A friend of mine took a class there recently and said they have problems.
Would you please call me at our toll free number # 1-877-845-2666. You would say such a mean thing and why would anyone repeat it!
MIKE VAN PELT
Mike, Not sure what you meant by saying "a mean thing"...I'm thinking you are responding to someone else, or you misunderstood what I meant? There is nothing wrong with Jerry's appearance; the reference was not to his physical looks. Perhaps I should have said he may not have famous, celebrity status (like David Marks or Norm), however he is an excellent instructor. Maybe he SHOULD start his own show! Hope this clears up what appears to be a misunderstanding. No offense intended.
rickluce wrote:

It was in reference to woodguy's comments about them being bankrupt and having problems. Erroneous, BTW. Unless you're woodguy, it wasn't directed toward you, a misunderstanding, I think.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: