Woodmaster Planner Molder? Motor?

I've decided to purchase a 18" Woodmaster planner molder and after taking into consideration a bunch of other items I'm left with the debate of either the 5 HP motor or upgrading to the 7 HP motor for $425, since 5 HP already seems large for a planner do those with the planner/molder recommend the upgrade?

Reply to
HotRod

I've had the same unit for about 10 years now and have the 5hp motor .. .. .. it's never been wanting for power.

Reply to
Anonymous

The only reason I went up to the 7hp was I wanted to be able to run possibly 6-8 rip saw blades at once to cut 3/8" and 3/4" wide sticks from 3/4 Oak. I've never actually tooled up for that but have no doubt the 7hp would have no problem.

H> I've decided to purchase a 18" Woodmaster planner molder and after taking

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Depends on what you're planing and how big a cut--the local yard has a planer whose horsepower I've never determined but the bloody thing is about the size of an SUV. Tried to take a half inch off a piece of 8/4 lapacho in one bite and it got about 6 inches and stalled.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Clarke If I wanted to do a cut that rough I'd use a chainsaw After reading your post I was actually picturing a chainsaw/bandsaw made by some redneck :-)

Reply to
HotRod