Woodfinder blows it again - Hartford cedar or cypress source?

Does anyone have a good source for Cedar or Cypress, within an hour or so drive of Hartford, CT? Downes and Reader, outside of Boston, seems a tad far.
Woodfinder pops up the usual bunch of Woodcraft stores, CWG, and Harris, none of which currently stock what I need. The Wood Rack dosen't stock either wood.
Thanks!
B A R R Y wrote:

Not within an hour's drive, but.............
Specialty Woods in Ottsville, PA has a warehouse FULL of cypress, cedar, and just about everything else.
Good prices and worth the trip.
Here's their site: http://www.wehrungsspecialtywoods.com /
Good Luck
Gus wrote:

Thanks, but it's a 7+ hour round trip <G>
Downes & Reader is only 2 1/2 R/T.

Woodfinder blows it a lot. Heck, when I look for things, it only finds places 50+ miles from my house, but ignores the 3 places that are closer than 20 miles away.
On Fri, 05 May 2006 17:40:48 GMT, Brian Henderson

See my recent response to BARRY for the proper perspective. It's your supplier who "blows it."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I don't think my suppliers are "blowing it" considering most of them are vastly larger and better stocked than anything listed on Woodfinder.
Barry,
Try Kellogg Hardwoods in Bethel CT. (203) 797-1992. Good wood and good prices.
Bruce
B A R R Y wrote:

Bruce Benysek wrote:

GREAT!
Thank you very much!
B A R R Y wrote:

Around my area none of the hardwood dealers have cedar but the non-Borg building supply/lumber places do carry it as its often used for fencing.
A quick "Google" search turns up a number of possibilities. See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2Bcedar+%2Blumber+%2B%22Hartford%2C+CT%22&btnG=Google+Search
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2Bcedar+%2Blumber+%2B%22Hartford%2C+CT%22&btnG=Google+Search

Thanks, I know who a lot of those guys are. They just don't actually *have* what they list. <G> Any awful lot of them only list cedar because they can get pre-fab cedar fences and siding. You'd swear unprepared cedar lumber was unobtanium lately. Ipe, PVC, etc... seem to be everywhere.
If Kellogg dosen't work out, my usual furniture wood guy has offered to get me what I need on his next wholesale load, or I'll head up to D&R in Stoughton.
Enfield Ct
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/products.htm
Rex?

He doesn't have what I need. I mentioned that in the original post. I'm there on a regular basis, and have purchased much wood there. I even know Dennis from when he worked at Harris. <G>
Thanks!
I don't know if it is close to what you're looking for but the CWS website says they have Spanish cedar.
And both Sanford & Hawley and Kelly-Fradet's websites say they have western red cedar.
Lee

_________________________________

Last year when I looked in our area, D & R was the only place that had any cypress. Two years ago I got some from CWG, but they were never able to re-stock. They said it was difficult to get cypress for various reasons from poor conditions for harvesting to flat out high prices for mediocre quality. I ended up using Spanish Cedar from CWG though.

Are you aware that Woodfinder is much like the Yellow Pages? The vendors that are listed paid to be there. That one doesn't show up is the fault of the vendor who elected not to pay to be listed, not Woodfinder. It's not fair to blame Woodfinder if you can't find a source when it's the source that didn't use all the advertising resources available to them who "blew it."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Good point.
Let me rephase my subject as "Woodfinder stinks at convincing the vendors in my area to use it." <G>
I usually have no problems finding wood via the ads in the back of "Woodshop News", but in this case, I thought I'd see if Woodfinder had gotten better than the last time I tried it, and possibly get me a better source for a specific product.
did you try Rex http://www.rexlumber.com/ also 1 hour drive is www.copperbeech.com

Thanks, Henry!!
Copper Beech has exactly what I need, and Northhampton is an easy trip. I've never heard of them, so I appreciate your tip on a new source.
Do you know if Rex does retail? I always thought they were a wholesaler, and I only need about 100 bf.
Yes wholesale unless you have a way to purchase from them