Wooden Viking swords

Page 2 of 2
ETaylor wrote:

Those are easy. Making the ammunition is harder :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Agreed. As a senator from New York once said: "We have a three-hundred year supply of guns, but only a ten-year supply of ammunition. Let's tax bullets out of existence."
I reload.
ETaylor wrote:

Try this link: <http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/acatalog/Costume.html
"Wooden Sword & Shield Kit Design and paint your own wooden Viking shield, complete with traceable design. Plus wooden sword and colouring poster. Paints and crayons are not included. Ideal for ages 5 to 11."

<http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/knives/wasters/ Mine, pictures rather than plans but I'm sure you can work it out.
Blades are beech, the rest is lime (linden/basswood). Most of the work is done with a spokeshave and block plane. Woodie moulder for the central fuller. You really need a full tang (blade continues right through) or a wooden sword will snap clean off at the hilt the first time it strikes the ground.
Finish is silver wax from the crafts shop. You can go crazy with carving, gilding and semi-precious stone inlay if you want (eBay rubies are amazingly cheap these days!)
Most children can easily kill with one of these. That might or might not be what you intended. Go easy on who you give them to. I wouldn't make even a wooden edge on a sword for a kid. 1/2 min. diameter on the edge rounding.
Search for the SCA or LARP rules on how to make something a bit less hazardous (bundled rattan or foam wraps) if you're planning to actually contact each other with it.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I have taken a bit from here and bit from there and will post my finished sword when I'm done. Cheers Ed.