wooden tambors

Hello Group, A long time ago I saw plans (maybe in a Fine Woodworking?) for all wood tambor lids. The craftsman made these really cool interlocking joints or hinges to keep the slats together. has anybody here made anything similar or do you know where there are plans for this? Thanks in advance, Marc
marc rosen said:

One of the easier methods to create a tamour is to glue your pre-profiled wooden strips to a canvas or similar backing. I believe contact cement is generally used. Rest assured there are also more complicated ways. I have no links at the moment.
Greg G.

Gluing bullnosed strips to canvas - regular wood glue ok - is one method. Holds for at least twenty years that I have evidence of.
All kinds of options discussed and sold at http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=tambour&submit.x &submit.y=4
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:27:44 -0800, marc rosen wrote:

IIRC Rockler has a tambor kit.

I've seen two variations on the all-wood approach. One is to join the tambour slats with a cable (or cord) to hold them together. The other is one that I've seen on a couple of antique roll-top desks, where each tambour slat is somewhat "S" shaped and therefore hooks into the slats on either side. I was very impressed with the precision and detail required for doing that and have never seen it on anything recent. I have, however, always wanted to try it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
The tambour that I saw had bottle shaped slats. The base was routed to accept the flared neck of the next piece. This is similar to the S shaped slats you saw. If I recall, the pieces were cut by table saw with the blade on angle and the piece reversed to make the invagination. The necks were table saw cut too. I know slats glued on canvas would work but making the tambour and hinges out of wood intrigues me.
Marc

I have no idea if they work well or not, but Rockler has a tambor router bit set to do that.
djb
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
marc rosen wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 282
Harvey