Wooden Sign HELP

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint . This sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically . Thanks so Much, Raz
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:56:36 -0600, " Hilltop Cycle ATV"

Repaint it with Imron or Awlgrip or one of the other two-part polyurethanes. Any clearcoat that is going to hold up will take the Rust-Oleum off.
Are you saying to redo what I have already done ? Or paint over my painted surfaces with the stuff you recommend above ? If you are just talking about painting a clear coat over what I have already done, please let me know where I can get it . I do not plan on redoing what I have already done . I will just put it out in the weather the way it is and make another sign when this one goes bad . Thanks, Raz

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:39:51 -0600, " Hilltop Cycle ATV"

Any automotive paint store will have a two-part polyurethane clearcoat that will stand up a long time outdoors, however it has very powerful solvents. Don't bet on having a readable sign after you apply it.

Thu, Jan 25, 2007, 7:56pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com <snip> I just painted up a new plywood sign with Rustoleum paint . Now,I want it to stay looking nice for as long as possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint . This sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Iowa eh? Better you than me.
I'd look at the back of the Rustoleum can and call the 1-800 number there and ask those guys what they think. And next time, I'd use exterior acrylic latex paint - it's maide for houses, that spend year round out in the weather, wherever they may be. Painted a Tiki with some, and it looked great. It sat at the end of my drive, up untill it got knocked over, and that busted ll up, because bugs had eaten all the inside. I've still got a few pieces laying around somewhere, and the solors still look good.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:56:36 -0600, " Hilltop Cycle ATV"

had three or four coats of white Rustoleum brushed on. Then an artist friend did the lettering. I have no idea what she used, but would venture to guess some kind of acrylic.
The sign was then sprayed with several coats of Krylon (I think) clear acrylic spray. Although the sign yellowed with age, it was not repainted until some time in the mid-nineties.
This was in southeastern Pennsylvania where the weather can run from zero in the winter to the high nineties in the summer with humidity ranging from 50 to 100%. The sign was also hanging in the direct sun for most of the day.

Well first off the Rustoleum is designed to cover rusted metal. Any clear coat the manufacturer permits should extend the life.
Next time however maximize your sign life by using sign paint. This stuff is thick and heavy with pigment (and lead, for industrial use only) See http://www.1shot.com/products.html
--
Roger Shoaf