Wooden Safe

Hi
I got this crazy idea for the winter - to build a safe in style of "Franz Jger", used in a series on Danish movies. The safe does not exist in the real world. E.g
http://www.erzgebirgische-holzkunst.eu/WebRoot/Store12/Shops/243717/4AA6/6638/ED25/C39C/FA5A/C0A8/28B8/4E68/B177.jpg
and there are much more on google
The door is causing some thoughts. I think of using 2 levels of wood plates, so there will be a inner and outer box. The door will be "leveled" too, in order to close correctly. The hinges would be "integrated", but that would meaning milling it in the the safe wall, making it thinner thereby weaker.
I was wondering, if anyone have ever made such a thing? Or any experience with safe doors or locking mechanism?
Sonnich
Mike Marlow wrote:

Total absence of woodpeckers?
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:23:04 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

So it will float in case any would be thieves try to make off with it in a leaky boat.