Wooden post repair

A friend has a wooden post in her front yard with a light attached. There are 2 spots the size of golf balls that, I guess, rotted out and were filled with what looks like wood putty. She would like them repaired. At first I thought of using Bondo, but then I figured the "plug" would just fall out like the wood putty did. At this point, I'm thinking that the way to go is to turn the hole into a mortise and fill it with another piece of wood, dutchman style.
Does anyone have any better ideas?
Thanks,
-Phil Crow
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Was the rotten part removed before the original patch was made? If not, that could be the problem - the rot continued to expand and left nothing solid for the putty to cling to.. or.. too big a hole to fill.
Whatever the plan, I would trim back into solid wood before applying it be it Bondo, a dutchman or combination thereof. If you attempt to use the former, I'd also give it something to grip to besides the wood. Maybe small nails or brads driven into the wood on an angle so that they remain below the finished plane of the surface.
Phil,
I'm a fan of Bondo - where it makes sense and can be painted or otherwise covered. Clean out the rotted part in the post then bore some smaller holes about 1/4" by 1/2" deep so the Bondo can be pressed into them and make it's own anchor points. After clearing out the old putty and drilling the holes, swab the entire patch area with a wood hardener. I can't recall the name of the product I've used but it's available at HD and it has the color of orange shellac but the consistency of water. Apply enough coats so that you notice a buildup. The initial coats (first two coats) will most likely sink into the wood. When it no longer sinks in and is dry - you're ready for the Bondo. This will harden any soft spots in the patch area and prevent further deterioration of the area. The rest of the post may rot out but the patch won't fail.
When you mix the Bondo, be sure mix a bit more than what you need. It dries fast so if you think you need a bit more working time, reduce the hardener by 25% to 50%. I've found thru trial and error that a 50% reduction of hardener almost doubles the working time. Temp and humidity play a big part in determining the working time too. Place enough Bondo in the patch area so it's slightly proud of the post and let it cure. Then rasp or sand it down as needed. Prime and paint.
Bob S.

On 9 May 2005 05:04:30 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

Best:
--

Replace the whole post.

======================================
Now where did I hear that before..........;-) ^^^^^
Bob S.
spake:

On Mon, 09 May 2005 21:25:12 GMT, the inscrutable "BobS"
Uh, what'd I miss?
------------------------------------------------------ I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2000...from California. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------
I said the same thing Larry (only better....;-) read above...^^^^ at 9:46am (6:46am left coast time)
spake:

BobS wrote:

9:46am
I guess great minds think alike, huh? Thanks, y'all.
-Phil Crow