Wooden lockers: can it (should it) be done?

I'm just toying with the idea. My work has some showers, but there are no lockers there, which means you get to drag your stinky clothes to your actual office...

Anyways, I was thinking that it wouldn't be to hard to make some small cedar lockers out of some leftover wood I happen to have. I know cedar stands up to a lot, but I've never tried it against sweaty underwear... I was just wondering if it's worth my time, or if they'll end up smelling as bad as the clothes within a year (also, what kind of finishes people suggest).

John

Reply to
John

I never really though about it but yes they will absorb and stink.

Most of the commercial gyms around here have lockers built from plastic laminated ply\particle board. I suppose that wipes down pretty easy.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:55:49 -0700 (PDT), John wrote the following:

Within a month. Just get a few plastic duffles and swipe 'em with clorox water when you're done.

-- Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. -- Ivan Pavlov

And that, my friends, is what's doggin' global warming extremists. -LJ

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are a couple of reasons why I wouldn't do this.

1) Cedar allergies

2) Would you be liable for number 1 if not sealed properly?

If you did do it, You might want to think about building an open style frame and use some plastic bins from Wally World or the BORG. Seal it with either poly, a marine finish or paint.

I never had problems with cedar until I helped side a house. If I so much as touch it, I am in misery for a day or two. I can smell it but don't get it on me.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

Cedar stands up to sweat pretty well (sauna experience). But, you might do better with a plastic tub. Washable, you know. Sweater-storage size is about right...

Reply to
whit3rd