Wooden Knitting Needles

Page 1 of 2
After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova Scotia: http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop.com/needles/index.htm , and is happy with them.
She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.
TIA
Tanus

Um... Some hardwood dowel and a pencil sharpener?
Seriously...
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440

AFARC, needles are tough, due to the exact sizing needed. I've done a couple more my SWMBO, but they were difficult to get to the exact size she wanted
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
A quick Google search of "wooden knitting needles" gave not only a lot of ready resources, but plenty of actual choices.
They're cheap, too.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I should have done my own research. I hadn't done it, but she had tried, and came up with very few - at least in Canada. But you're right, even a Youtube video on how to make them.
Thanks Robert.
Tanus
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

I figured there was a skill involved, and my skills with the lathe are pretty rudimentary. I didn't know about the size thing.
Dave suggested dowels and a pencil sharpener. I guess that falls into the same thing of sizing, tho. But it's sure an easy alternative.
Tanus

I don't think that work for me
So he is not always accurate--he made it seem like it was for all of us
mk5000
we have the same intrigue as a court of kings ah leave it ah leave it dit dit dit"--yes
Tanus wrote:

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were about 14" long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter weight on the non-pointy end...
Package of 100: $1.00.
Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know how to make hand-held sticks.
HeyBub wrote:

Bit skinny for knitting needles, though, aren't they?
J. Clarke wrote:

I have no idea. I'm a lover, not a knitter.
But you could make a dandy rubber-band crossbow for them.
HeyBub wrote:

LOL. I'll tell her that. The other issue that she told me just now is that US and UK suppliers won't ship to Canada.
Tanus
Tanus wrote:

Maybe she could knit one of these:
Pic
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wtf-pics-fun-fashion.jpg

http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wtf-pics-fun-fashion.jpg
Yeah, but then there would be arguments as to who gets to wear it. One would want it for fashion and the other would want it for warmth.
I can just envision someone wearing one of those at a lingerie show ~ a unisex garment usable by both sexes.

Ignore the rhetoric. Tell the guy to get a roll of quarters
mk5000
"Im moving through some changes Ill never be the same Something you did touched me Theres no one else to blame'-yes
HeyBub wrote:

http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wtf-pics-fun-fashion.jpg
You guys kill me. Where on earth do you come up with this stuff?
I have to save this one for the right occasion... unlikely as it is, you never know...
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Start with: www.icanhascheezburger.com and follow the links to companion sights:
www.failblog.org and
www.pictureisunrelated.com

I like this one
http://icanhascheezburger.com/?s=global+warming
because
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/011606R.shtml
Global Warming to Speed Up as Carbon Levels Show Sharp Rise By Geoffrey Lean The Independent UK
Sunday 15 January 2006
Global warming is set to accelerate alarmingly because of a sharp jump in the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Preliminary figures, exclusively obtained by The Independent on Sunday, show that levels of the gas - the main cause of climate change - have risen abruptly in the past four years. Scientists fear that warming is entering a new phase, and may accelerate further.
But a summit of the most polluting countries, convened by the Bush administration, last week refused to set targets for reducing their carbon dioxide emissions. Set up in competition to the Kyoto Protocol, the summit, held in Sydney and attended by Australia, China, India, Japan and South Korea as well as the United States, instead pledged to develop cleaner technologies - which some experts believe will not arrive in time.
The climb in carbon dioxide content showed up in readings from the US government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, taken at the summit of Mauna Loa, Hawaii. The measurements have been taken regularly since 1958 in the 11,400ft peak's pristine conditions, 2,000 miles from the nearest landmass and protected by unusual climatic conditions from the pollution of Hawaii, two miles below.
Through most of the past half-century, levels of the gas rose by an average of 1.3 parts per million a year; in the late 1990s, this figure rose to 1.6 ppm, and again to 2ppm in 2002 and 2003. But unpublished figures for the first 10 months of this year show a rise of 2.2ppm.
Scientists believe this may be the first evidence that climate change is starting to produce itself, as rising temperatures so alter natural systems that the Earth itself releases more gas, driving the thermometer ever higher.
What a bunch of hokum. The summit is above (and is a part of) an active volcano that is building a new island. It is producing massive amounts of CO2 and other complex chemical mixes. And the latest jump is the Big island is moving away from the the hot spot. Island making in the process. The next in a large series from before or the time of Midway.
Martin
marika wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Speaking of... :)
<http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id8985>

whoa that's cool
speaking of which, I'm watching Exodus Callisto Really neat show
mk5000
"If I wanna try to count the ways You make me smile I'll run out of fingers Before I run out of time To sing to talk about Sugar you keeps it going on Make me wanna keep my lovin strong "--you are my rock, beyonce