Wooden cremation urns

Has anyone ever run across plans for wooden burial urns, for cremated remains. They can be purchased at funeral establishments, but I would like to make one myself, spcifically a dual version, for the remains of my mother and father. Any help will be appreciated.
David Causier
For people, no. For pets, yes. Scroll down this page a bit to "Caesar's Box": http://www.robswoodworking.com/latest_project.html
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"David Causier" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Have a look at my site http://members.shaw.ca/mathewa/Turnings.htm at the bottom are 3 urns I've sold to various funeral homes. The vary bottom urn is what I buried my mom and dad in (one for each). Now for the more un-palatable details... If your mother is small boned she will not even fill half of a 200 cubic inch urn. My mom was about 5'4" and filled far less than half the urn. My dad was 6'1" and faily large boned which filled the urn to about 3/4. Each urn is suppose to be 200 cubic inches. So the one I buried my parents in was aprox, 11 inches high and 8 inches in diameter at its widest point tapering down to aprox 3 inches at the base. Urns usually are accessed from the bottom. You should have a center steady similar to this one http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_wood_lathes.html other wise you'll have some serious problems keeping it attached to the lathe. You will also have problems trying to reach over the tool rest with regular wood turning tools. I used a home build stewart system - even then it was a wrestling match when scraping out the bottom few inches of the urn.

Nice Stuff Matt. Where in Sidney are you (I used to live on Collinwood, Resthaven, 2nd,Wain Rd and McTavish)? I actually recognized the location where your chess set is before I figured out the Sidney thing.We're over there all the time as my wife's parents live on Resthaven/Amelia.
Rob