wooden box formula

Page 2 of 2
It's a nice way to teach a lot of things when you're working with a shop class. Calculus is not one of them, however.

The largest volume of a [sorry for this] parallelopiped happens when it's a cube, all sides equal. Disallowing kerfs etc, if the wood is much longer than the width there would be too much waste doing that, so it gets more complicated.
I'm heading for bed having been sick for two weeks, but will get back tomorrow to show how to cut for maximum volume in that case ....if I remember. Again there is no allowance for kerfs, so that will have to be taken into account later as well. It involves a bit of math finding max volume given some variable dimensions. It's not too tough, but I'm under the weather just now.

Umm, measure the length of the board and divide by 4.
Leon responds:

Nope. Still needs a top and bottom.
Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken

The original link was <http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/Wood/nowaste.html but that appearsto be a dead link.
I have a printout from that site and did save a copy of the html page and the gif showing how to lay out the cuts on a board.
I've posted it at <http://www.balderstone.ca/nowaste/nowaste.html
Mark Lambert, if you're reading this... Please let us know where your site has moved to and I'll pull this off mine. I googled for you but didn't find your new site.
djb
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:25:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone
The images don't seen to be linked, Dave. Could you check that please? I most likely misunderstood the original question, so I'd be interested for sure in seeing what it's about.

I ran into the same thing tonight...

That's noted on the page I posted where I wrote "The only graphic I have a full version of is the one below at the right."
I only have one full sized image of the board plan. That is linked.
The other images are not linked. Sorry, but I won't be making any effort to rectify that.
djb

Ah... therein lies the problem. When I saw all the dead links I didn't bother reading the page as I figured it wouldn't make sense if I couldn't view the graphics!
John

The missing graphics are pictures of the box the author made and are not critical to the technique nor particularly illustrative.
If posting the page is of no value, please let me know and I'll pull it and save the disk space on the server as well as the bandwidth. No problem.
Thank you, Dave! This is the precise page I was looking for. I appreciate the trouble you went to getting that page up.
Thanks also to Charlie B who took the time to email me his solution. It is interesting to compare the two slightly different solutions.
posted one answer to your question in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
charlie b

Sorry Charlie. Some of my posts are not getting through. I answered there. For max volume, two of th cuts have to be equal to the width. The other four pieces should be of equal length for max volume.