WOODEN BANDSAW GUIDE BLOCKS

Page 2 of 2
J T wrote:

Haven't tried it (my band saw came with roller guides and unless I want to machine something up there's no retrofit for solid guides available that fits it that I know of) but my gut reaction would be to go with ipe. Stuff's infernally dense and hard and doesn't seem to burn easily like Purpleheart.

--John
βœ–
Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 11:37am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J. Clarke) doth sayeth: <snip> my gut reaction would be to go with ipe. Stuff's infernally denseand hard and doesn't seem to burn easily like Purpleheart.
I'da thought the ipe too, until I read the previous post about oak working better than maple. Don't have any purpleheart.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:55:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Try oak soaked in oil (minwax or the like), wait for the oil to dry and then harden them up in the oven for about 1/2 hr at 250 - 300. Mine have lasted quite a few pass/feet.
I made 6 a year or so ago and am still on the first pair.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

This from a 'formulae' that was posted on the net. I tried looking it up again and can't find the article. When I say oven, that means a old toaster oven in the garage or your inlaws oven - not your oven where your wife cooks and can kill you for heathen blasphemous desecration.
βœ–
Thu, Jan 17, 2008, 12:52am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mts.net doth sayeth: This from a 'formulae' that was posted on the net. I tried looking it up again and can't find the article.   When I say oven, that means a old toaster oven in the garage or your inlaws oven - not your oven where your wife cooks and can kill you for heathen blasphemous desecration.
That pretty well describe it, heathen blasphemous desecration. I'll pass.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T wrote:

Both wore down so that I was often turning them and I couldn't see any improvement in the cutting, tracking or any other parameter. I tried roller guides, but I cut a lot of green bowl blanks and they just pressed the gunk onto the blade. Then I went back to the originals and have been happy ever since.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
J T wrote:

Lignum vitae. No other can come even close.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T wrote:

Have you got any persimmon? I could send you some, but it was grown in Georgia, so no use offering.
Snippers
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

And if you hit Crafts, Woodworking on Ebay you may get the same surprise I got: there is a LOT of it for sale in turning block and small spindle size at semi-rational prices.
Add pictures here
βœ–

And I'd lay odds that two-thirds of it is actually an African blackwood, not genuine lignum vitae.
Still a pretty good choice, dense and hard, but not as self- lubricating as lignum vitae.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Of course a lot of people oil their blades and thus the guides periodically anyway.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

There are different grades of lignum vitae as well. The stuff the local supplier has is from Argentina (all his exotic hardwoods are from Argentina) but it's not the grade used for shaft bearings.
--John
βœ–

True, but the stress on a bandsaw blade guide is not close to what it is on a prop shaft. Or, if it is, adjustment is in order.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:49:45 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

Depends on your boat. Ever seen the bearings on a paddle steamer? Lignum vitae staves too, and a _lot_ of radial force.
If you want to see wooden bearings having a hard time, look at the history of the first Royal Navy destroyers, around 1900 - especially the first turbine-driven ships with ungeared turbines.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Fri, Jan 18, 2008, 2:00pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J. Clarke) doth gradeth: There are different grades of lignum vitae as well. The stuff the local supplier has is from Argentina (all his exotic hardwoods are from Argentina) but it's not the grade used for shaft bearings.
I'm getting a bit of the finest grade. Free. Heh heh. And the Woodworking Gods have blessed the donor.