Wooden and Fibre Glass Folding Rules

Hi,
I'm doing a study into different tools and am interested as to whether anyone knows why folding rules are produced in two different colours, yellow and white.
If anyone could help with this and any other information regarding these products I would really appreciate it.
Many thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

It could be 'cause white don't show up when you drop it in the snow.
DAMHIKT
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

'cept if ya have a dawg.
The yellow ones taste like lemon and the white ones are coconut.
The yellow is easier to read under a lot of lighting conditions.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Usually, the white ones are for brickmasons, and are marked for that purpose on one side. That's not to say that there are no white standard folding rules, however.
Charlie

Traditionally, folding rules for carpenters were made of boxwood, with a clear finish. It gives a yellowish appearance. There are less expensive folding rules produced in white (also made of boxwood) and there are rules made in white for masons. The mason's rules, quite naturally, are to be differentiated by their markings, which are pertinent to masonry layout. In a general sense, yellow and clear finished rules are for carpenters (with some exceptions) and white rules are for masons and engineers (also with some exceptions).
Thanks for all your feedback. :-)
If anyone else has any other thougts please feel free to add.
Thanks.
On 2006-01-20 03:17:20 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk"

I've got a few nice aluminum folding rules from my Dad from years ago. I think he once said they were outlawed (by OSHA?) because they were conductive...?