Wooden 6X6 in ground

What is the best way to put 6x6's in ground 4' to ensure long life. The wood is freshly milled Juniper (Tamerac, Larch) and the geography is eastern canada. People have told me to wrap in plastic and refill with earth, refill with gravel, refill with concrete.... Which is best?

I would stay away from concrete and wrapping with plastic. Both will retain moisture. I would go with gravel.

Concrete base/foundation/column, Simpson Post base. http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/AB-ABA-ABE-ABU.html
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@islandtelecom.com says...

Dry the posts, take them to a sawmill and get them high pressure saturation treated before putting them in. That will go a loooong way towards longevity. I've been ramming pressure treated pine posts into bare dirt for the last 20 years and they're all still there (I have a farm for a main source of income).
If you bed them in concrete, make sure that the concrete gently slopes away from the base of the post on all sides.
-P.
mark wrote:

The _best_ way is to use a concrete footing. If the wood is going to be buried then the species counts for more than the method of burial and Tamerac is not a good choice for such use. Red cedar (also sometimes called "juniper") or pressure treated pine would be a better choice but if you can get hold of some bois d'arc (aka "osage orange" and "bodark") or ipe I think you'd be in better shape.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I would agree with the gravel(crushed stone), 1/2 to 3/4 inch aggregate size. If the posts are cut from the heartwood of tamarak grown in wet areas, all the better.