Woodcraft Store

Page 2 of 3

A lot of items I've tried to buy and were out of stock at local stores are medium to high volume stuff, not something that would collect dust for a year. Some stores have back stock, but most are what you see is what you get.
I wouldn't expect a woodworking store to stock a Unisaw unless they are a machinery dealer.
Some of the items aren't worth online ordering due to shipping, but some are.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

It is a pita, granted, for places to not restock...there's a farm supply here that is terrible about it--unfortunately, town's small enough there's little alternative, but the manager just doesn't keep up w/ stuff that aren't supplier-stocked.
    Greetings and Salutations....
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:25:07 -0500, Duane Bozarth

    First off, I have no financial interest in the Woodcraft in Knoxville...although I am a member of a woodturning group that meets there regularly, and, have had some pleasant chats with Dave Harding (the owner).     Now...I can understand the OP's frustration, as I am always annoyed when the specific thing I want is not available in the store where I expect it to be...and, I would agree that it is perhaps not unreasonable to expect the store to have a PC Dovetail Jig. Actually...now that I think of it, I recall seeing one there on the shelves towards the back of the store on a fairly regular basis. However, to say "don't stock anything" is, perhaps overstatement brought on by frustration. The fact of the matter is that the store is a small one, and, while it is located in the "high rent" end of town, Knoxville is still a fairly economically depressed area...which means that money is tight all over. In spite of that, Dave carries QUITE a wide range of products from the catalog, as the small store IS quite packed with stuff. There are a lot of turning and carving tools, there are router bits of all sorts, there is quite a selection of specialty hardware, etc, as well as finishing supplies, workbenches, and both handplanes and power tools ranging from small routers up to big cabinet saws and lathes.     The folks that work there are all quite friendly, and DO want to make sure that customers can find what they need. I would suggest, though, that the best thing to do (and something I would have done after the first disappointment), would, indeed, be to call ahead and find out if a given item is in stock. If they have it, they will be happy to put it aside for you. If they don't have it...they can tell you when they WILL have it...     Actually, the biggest frustration I have with the place is that Dave is real limited in the discounts he can give... so ti can be WAY too pricy for a tool addict such as myself to go in there. If it weren't for the "unloved stuff" shelves where I have found a few good deals, I would be even poorer than I am now!     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave, There some people that you simply cannot please, and will find fault with everything , there life probably reflects this, then there are those, the majority, that call ahead or come back if the distance is not far. We have a couple at our store that , when they come in , you hate to wait on them. Many of our customers are like family , and all are treated that way.
Ken at Indy
writes:

Ken says...

I've been to your store a couple times. The last sales dood that helped me was indeed very nice. Had a devil of a time finding the place. I'll bet that Dead End sign does nothing for business. And the traffic...is almost Chicago-like.
    Greetings and salutations....

    *snip*
    Yea...although I can certainly understand how frustrations can build up until one has to vent.     Coincidentally, I was listening to a CD of one of my favorite saterical philosophers, Tom Lehrer, the other day, and, was reminded of what became one of my favorite sayings after I stole it from him years ago.     He was talking about one of the great thinkers he had run across, and, said that, just before the fellow had been taken away to the Home for the Terminally Confused, he had opined that "Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends pretty much on what you put into it".     regards     Dave Mundt
    P.S. In an odd twist, as I write this, I happened to surf into C-SPAN2, and, was interested to see that a speech by the infamous Ward Churchill was on. He does have some anger issues, it sounds like...and DOES like to focus in on the failings of humanity to the exclusion of everything else.     DCM
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:44:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote:

... snip

I liked his satirical songs like "Nicoloi Ivanovitch Lobachevski", a testament to mis-spent years listing to the Dr. Demento show I guess.

If their aims weren't so destructive, you could almost pity people like Churchill; one can almost be assured that he has very little joy in his life, or that what little joy he finds is in tearing down what others have worked so hard to build up.
On 6 Apr 2005 05:16:36 -0700, the inscrutable "Gerald"

Gerald, you could have called the store to check stock before driving any distance. I made that mistake once with Harbor Freight and won't again. (50 mile r/t) Whatever you do, call the store manager and give him your gripes. If it was he to whom you talked in Knoxville, call corporate instead and give them the story. They have a reputation to keep up and if he isn't doing his share, they need to know.
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Well, I'll take the ding for not calling ahead and checking to see if they had the item in stock, but three times in a row tells me they stock very little of anything. And it was a Porter Cable Dovetail Jig.

I have overheard workers at my local Woodcraft complaining about slow delivery of PC stock. Exactly how true this may be is hard to say. But, I would not assume that they or anybody else has PC gear instock. Jim

I guess it depends on the type of store one goes into, so I wouldn't think that dovetail jigs are that popular a woodworking tool for the average home owner. Saws, drills, hammers, etc. could be considered commodity items for joe woodworker, but not a dovetail jig. I agree with you however, if a store regularly doesn't have what I want, whatever it is, it soon gets dropped off my 'like to visit' list.

All three times?

A conclusion not supported by the evidence. A conclusion better supported by the evidence is that they don't stock what you're looking for.

They probably don't stock more than a couple of those anyway. All it would take is to sell two of them in one week, and bang! They're out of stock until the next truck comes in.
I don't get it. It would appear that many of the responder to this thread have some vested interest in Woodcraft. There seems to be all kinds of justifications put forth as to why this store fails to have what Gerald wants to purchase. Some are even critical of the guy for not calling ahead. As I understand it, Woodcraft is a specialty store for the woodworking community. Therefore, to say that stocking a dovetail jig is something extraordinary seems to be an odd defense. While I like some stores in the chain (especially the one in Manchester, CT and not the one in Pittsburgh, PA), it does not seem to be a discount operation. However, one theoretically can buy something immediately and walk out the door with it. By contrast, Amazon and other websites offers many of the same items (often for much less), but one has to wait for an item to be shipped. If a store offers neither inventory nor cheap prices, what marketing niche is it supposed to fill and why would one continue to shop there?
wrote:

by
until
on 4/6/2005 6:19 PM TEF said the following:

[snip] Vested interest? You a troll?
Reminds me of a story about the guy who walks into a store and asks for a sabre saw and is told they don't carry any. Then he asks for a cordless drill battery and they DON'T have that either. He starts getting testy about this and the guy behind the counter asks "You Polish or what?"
Naturally this really torques the customer up a notch who demands "What the hell does that have to do with it? All I want is a sabre saw and damn drill battery. And, yes, I AM Polish as if it's any of your business."
"Thought so," said the clerk, "This is a butcher shop!"
The OP's bitch might have more meaning if he HAD called in and was told they had one, he'd reserved it, and when he got there it was sold out from under him. Or, alternatively, he'd specifically asked for the PC dovetail jig, had been told "Yep, it's here" and upon arrival many miles later learned they never did have one in stock but were all too ready to move him up to a Leigh or Incra.
I don't care WHAT their business plan looks like. No one store can be all things to all people nor can they stock (or keep in stock) every single item their target customer base is likely to want.
The fact that Woodcraft, or Rockler's, or Sear's for crapsake, doesn't have a certain item in stock tells me less about them than does the fact that somebody is getting their shorts in a knot because they want something so bad but can't order it or call before driving far enough to get them pissed off because it's not sitting on a shelf with their name on it. That, when you think about it, speaks volumes. Much like the poster the other day who was ranting about Shop Fox not having a distributor less than 30 minutes from his doorstep.
Whomever wrote that "you can't please everybody" certainly had a passing acquaintance with some of these folks.

I have no vested interest, but 1) The store near me claims to have 80% of what is in their catalog 2) 80% of the catalog cannot be purchased in any other local store.
Try talking to someone at Amazon or for that matter any online order house about a set up problem or what am I doing wrong. You'll get a recording. Most employees at Woodcraft are woodworkers, and work there for discounts. They don't profess to keep everything in stock that they have in their catalogs, but they come real close.
As for the Porter Cable dovetail jigs. He probably for got to say that is was the brand new jig, just out, and that all sources were limited to quantities. We ordered 12 and got 7 who's fault is that ? We finally got every body satisfied and went on to the next hot item. Calling ahead is good. Each store has a set reorder point, if some one comes in and buys everything that the store has, it is reordered on the next Tuesday. If someone thinks ahead and calls us for a certain quantity of one certain hinge we will make sure that we order extra to cover their needs leaving the store inventory intact. Don't stop shoping in a store because you are not realistic , before long you'll be doing all of your shopping somewhere esle and that list will soon get really short.
Ken in Indy

TEF wrote:

Yep, that'd be me. Just a couple of weeks ago I was extolling the glories of Geetech 8" jointers from Leneave's as I'd just bought one from them. OTOH, I did buy my Rikon 18" bandsaw from Woodcraft. My drill press and table saw came from Home Depot (Ridgid). I have a RAS from Sears. 2 Porter Cable routers: one from Woodcraft and one from Home Depot. I got a Milwaukee hammer drill from Amazon. A Bosch jigsaw from Home Depot.... you get the idea.
I get around and call it as I see it. My view is that Woodcraft has a lot to offer, at least in my area. But a vested interest? Not even close. I'm a registered nurse by trade and play with tools as a hobby.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

<snip>
I agree with you fully, but don't see that what you are saying disagrees with Doug. Certainly if the main thing one looks to Woodcraft for is PC dovetail jigs, from this thread, it seems like that is not the place to go. But Doug's point, as I understand it, is a valid objection to the hyperbole that they don't stock anything, so by extension should never be shopped at--they certainly do stock items, and it is fun to shop there on occasion. If I have a particular need, I will probably call before driving the 10 miles, but maybe not--I may just drive over planning to browse if they don't have what I want.
If I want lowest price, I probably will go to Amazon. If I need it NOW, I will let my fingers do the walking to Highland Hardware, Rockler, and Woodcraft.

My message, for reasons I don't know, followed Doug's. However, I am taking issue to what he said. My point is that Gerald seems to be having problems buying a dovetailing jig at his Woodcraft store and there seems to be a great number of responders defending that store. It seems to me that a store without adequate stock would not be one that would draw a lot of business particularly when there are alternative places to shop (that even have better prices). Moreover, I did not think that a dovetailing jig would be considered an unusual item if one were operating a woodworker's store. Perhaps, if Gerald wanted a Unisaw with specific options, then one would understand an out-of-stock situation since that is an expensive item for any store to inventory.
wrote:

supported
would
butt.