Woodcraft Store

Page 1 of 3

Well, They did it to me again. Went to their store in Knoxville to purchase an item and for the third time in less than six months, I was told "sorry, we are out of stock on that item". That should be their theme song. Don't think they stock anything. I'm done wasting my time and gas on them.

Don't know about you, but I usually phone a someone first to see if they have what I want in stock.

Depends on the item. Do you phone ahead to the grocery store to see if they have hot dogs? Bread?
If you are talking about Danish oil, sandpaper, a 1/4" Forstner bit, I expect they will have it in stock. Replacement blades for a 15 year old discontinued planer, different story. Twice I wanted to get a set of Cool Blocks and the local store was out of them. I asked about it and was told "they go out as fast as they come in". I suggested they order more. I was given a strange look as though they never thought of that.
Let's see on my last three trips: Cool blocks, 18" drawer glides, 2 of 4 handles I wanted.

Is your phone broken?
Whether one phones or not is still not an excuse for a poorly stocked store. It would seem to me that if something sells well, the merchant would either reorder with more frequency or purchase larger quantities. Even if one does call before making the trip to the store, what is the point of a business that is chronically understocked? If this happens often, I certainly can appreciate Doug's disappointment with his Woodcraft store.

This is a catch 22 situation for everyone...the store and the customer.....in a perfect world the store would have everything you desire and lots of it in stock. I can tell you from experience, the store will always be out of some things. You try to keep your inventory dollars at a respectabvle level and not have you inventory get out of control, but you try to stock for your customer's needs. It is hard to do, and then your supplier shorts you or they are backordered and the problem gets worse. If I am making a special trip, I will call first.
I always enjoy going to visit and see the store anyway. If they do not have it in stock, my WoodCraft store will ordered it and ship it to me at no shipping charge.
Try treating the store and the employees as you wish to be treated. As an employee, we hate being out of stock as well.
Mike
I too am an employee, it is as Mike says, but no one hears about the 200 satisfied customers that come thru the doors daily. We , as employees do not like to send a customer away empty handed, but it does happen.
Ken in Indy

Ok, then, I was a satistied customer today! Of course, I just picked up some hose clamps and a 5" to 4" adapter that just HAPPENED to show up in the store yesterday - new product from Delta and all, and just what I needed! What I went *in* for was a 4" splice to try to build such an adapter, since our Woodcraft doesn't normally carry stuff for 5" hose.

Our Woodcraft carries heavy iron too. I got a Delta X5 planer a month or so ago, and they had five in the back, so no shortage there.
But you can always buy clamps if nothing else ;-)
5" hose is not a common hose size. I'm not sure where I would even look , for that matter even why I would look.
KK
writes:

Too true!

One possible reason it that for your size dust collector/length of run, 5" pipe is the ideal size, and you want to run some hose where a rigid connection is inconvenient. BTDT.

Grizzly has a bunch of 5" stuff, but I was impatient.

The Delta X5 planer has a 5" port on it.
on 4/6/2005 8:41 AM TEF said the following:

What is the point of discussing this if we're going to do so with incomplete information?
That Gerald didn't call to check to see if the item was in stock before he went is his "bad." Pure and simple. More so if he traveled a great distance. If he was already in the neighborhood and "just stopped by," what the hell's the big deal?
"They don't have anything" is pure, unadulterated bulls**t. It's hyperbole that means absolutely nothing to me but that the OP doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. If they have nothing would their doors be open to the public and would they be paying an employee to tell somebody "sorry, that's out of stock?"
We don't know what he was looking for. Was it a couple booked sheets of Birdseye Maple veneer? Was it a certain, not terribly popular hinge? Or, perhaps the opposite? A very popular item that was in their sale flyer that week? Hell, we don't even know - from Gerald's post - if it was the same item in each instance.
So, there you have it. We don't know just how put out Gerald has a right to be. We don't know if the store is "chronically" understocked. All we really know is that he never bothered to check before making the trek.
There's really nothing wrong with not calling to check stock before going in to make a purchase. It's just that it seems a tad whiney to bitch about it later.
One further point, since Woodcraft is a franchise operation I don't think it fair for anyone to view all stores in this light. I know I won't be patronizing the Knoxville store - not even if they were selling brand new Unisaws for $1,000 out the door. But that's only because that particular store's not close by.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I'm with you. Frankly, I can't remember ever leaving the local (Matthews, NC) Woodcraft store empty handed. I have on occasion had to wait for something to come in, but I've initiated those transactions by phone first. They're excellent about calling when the stuff gets there.
Most recently, it was about a selection of bandsaw blades for my 18" Rikon (which I bought from them). Since they only recently began selling the saw, they didn't have any spare blades when I first bought it... but they had been ordered. They called me when they came in, but I put them off. Then I went to get them the day they put the whole store at 15% off. I picked up a 3/8" and a 1 1/4" blade made by Timberwolf.
In the Charlotte area, they have a nicer selection than the Klingspor shop which is closer to me. In any case, I always call before I go, and if they have it, I ask them to put it aside for me if I'm coming out that day.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Of course they are poorly stocked, just like my local Woodcraft store is. At those prices they cannot afford to put too much into the overhead. Thats the result of overpricing, ie: pricing yourself out of the market. Sure for the most part the quality is excellent, however many of us on a budget simply cannot afford to shop there for everything we need. John
TEF wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:

I was in the market for the Delta Unisaw some time ago and, given its size, and my lack of a truck, wanted it delivered. There was a woodworker's warehouse (now defunct) about 8 miles up the road. I asked about delivery, offering to pay, and wait. The manager had no interest in selling it to me. The Woodcraft store manager warned me of a 10% off coupon in the flier coming in another week, saving me $160, and only accepted $50 to drive 1-1/2 hrs round trip and spent an hour helping me unbox and set it up. For service like that, I don't think I'd look to save the last dollar on a purchase.
Somehow, the attitude in Woodcraft always seemed more pleasant than the other places. JOE
John DeBoo says...

Woodcraft prices aren't that bad. If not Woodcraft or Rockler, where can you really go? Local stores, if there are any, are likely to be even pricier and big box stores don't stock high quality woodworking tools and supplies. I'll admit Minwax finishes and Stanley hand tools are are OK for some things, but where else do you go to get dye stains, Waterlox, a marking gauge, a scraper burnisher, or a good water stone? If you can find Deft brush on lacquer at a box store, it might be $1 cheaper than Woodcraft. Big deal. I'm glad we have Rockler and Woodcraft.
I've had really good luck using that there Internet email thing, Copy and paste the item from the website into an email, go to the store locator and grab the standard 'city name'-retail email address and usually have an answer back within 1/2 an hour as long as I don't send it at lunchtime..
It used to be that stores had "stock rooms". No more. It's a Fed Ex/UPS society that we live in now.
Stock in the back = tied up cash and we just can't have that. The stores try and keep stock as small as possible. There are still a few stores that stock some items, but for the most part, they go on an order it when sombody asks policy.
Same reason your customer service drops off the chart when the holidays are over. Gotta cut that overhead. Come on, they have to free up the money so they can pay their CEO's.
I do agree with the fella's above, call ahead if you're heading in for something in particular. WoodCraft has always been great that way for me too.

They free up cash by not stocking stuff and then spend all that cash paying huge shipping bills for overnight delivery.
A lot of stores lose my business by not having stuff in stock, or not carrying it at all. Sure, the store can order it, but so can I and probably for less money.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Actually, they conserve cash flow in order to be able to do other things such as pay the light bill, rent or the mortgage, salaries, benefits, ...
It's only a prudent way to do business. Some high volume items pay to keep in stock, sure, but it's financially impossible to maintain inventory of high-ticket or low-turnover items.
When lowest-initial-cost wasn't the overriding consideration w/ many customers, it was possible to be able to do some things that simply can't be done any longer if one wishes to stay in business. The occasional loss of sale to the "you don't have it so I'll order online" is a cost that can't be made up for because there are too many who order online irrespective of onhand stock simply to save a few bucks on sales tax and wouldn't patronize the brick-n-mortar store even if it had everything they wanted if it were a nickel per item more.