Woodcraft sale on Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps 10-17 only

Page 2 of 2
I remember once upon a time, when Sears was in the mail-order business, they used to include a shipping weight for each item in their catalog. When you filled out your order, added up all the shipping weights, and consulted a table in the (paper!) catalog based on where you lived to compute the shipping charges. And the numbers were not nice round things like $5.00 or $7.50. They were numbers like $4.23 or something, reflecting (or at least seeming to reflect) the actual cost of shipping your merchandise to you.
I always thought that was fair and reasonable.
The current practice -- charging you in proportion to what you spend -- has always struck me as counterproductive. Why not have a policy that the more you spend, the _less_ you pay? (Amazon has picked up on this idea with its free shipping if you spend at least X dollars, but they seem to be in the minority)