woodcraft router bits

I just received the 10 bit set from woodcraft that is on sale for $39. Unfortunately 3 of the bits were defective. The 1/4" straight cut had a significant chip on one of the flutes and two other bits had small nicks on the cutting edges.

The good news is that the Woodcraft customer support was great and they sent me a replacement set no questions asked along with a return postage label for the defective set. Hopefully the new set will be defect free.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

I have purchased several of these (individually) and used them all with no problems or complaints. Performance similar to to Freud or CMT at a fraction of the cost.

Reply to
Rick & Julie

The bits that weren't defective look good. I can't wait to use them - good finish, cutting edges feel sharp, etc.

My main reason for posting was to let folks know that there may be a problem with the bit sets, but that the woodcraft customer service is making it right!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

I bought the bits they had on sale last month for $5 each. In checking them over today (after reading your post) two of the bits have chipped cutters. The rabbet bit had one cutter with a rough edge, and the flush trim bit has a nick in it.

I'll be calling them next week about the defective bits.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Doesn't surprise me -- they're not the same bits as the ones that come in the hardshell cases. Stock numbers are different, and so is the source. The bits in the hardshell cases are made in Taiwan. The five-dollar bits in the vinyl pouches are made in Communist China.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As opposed to non-Communist China?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Yeah! Although for some odd reason since the '70's we've been calling non-communist China Tiawan. I never understood why though.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Probably because they got tired of the name Formosa.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Now Charlie, you know that Tiawan or Formosa was officially "China" to the US Gov't from the time the Reds took over the mainland until Tricky Dick sold them out. That's what I've never understood.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Dave Hall notes:

It's easy, Dave. I think it was ol' Silent Cal who is reputed to have said, "The business of American is business." Or maybe it was Hoobert Heever. Anyway, pointing a politician at a billion person market just obliterated every other consideration. What Tricky Dicky, and many others, never figured on was that market doing the producing for itself...and most of the rest of the world.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I purchased the same set at $39 (in addition to a Dustfoe 88 - which I absolutely think is the best mask I've ever used). The set arrived in a decent wooden box, with a plastic insert to hold them that will probably be destroyed over time - but what do you want at 4 bucks a bit.

IAE, two of the bits were defective - the 7/8" cove bit had a small chip out of it, and the 1-1/16" roman ogee had a very slight chip out of the corner. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that these tiny imperfections wouldn't *significantly* impact performance (or would they?), but I called Woodcraft anyways. The woman I spoke with was excellent, and said they'd be sending me out replacement bits immediately. All other bits are perfect.

Great service from Woodcraft, IMO and I'll buy from them again.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Finally got around to using two of my Woodcraft bits from this same set last night. Both the 1/2" and 1/4" routed nice clean slots into hard maple for me with minimal burning. (The burning was mainly on entry as I was drop cutting) No complaints here. My package of 10 didn't have any defective bits either.

FWIW.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I bought them also. I've only used one so far, the 3/8" core box bit. It is still going strong after 450' of maple.

I have the same bit from Whiteside. Theirs is better, deeper, but cost 6x. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski