Woodcraft Router Bits

Okay, many of you know that woodcraft is having their 5 dollar bit sale. i bought one and have about 8 other bits on hold. but, are these bits worth it? i mean for 5 bucks i think they are worth it, but are they any good? anyone have any experience with them? I was thinking of just picking up one of each and a few more of the ones i use a lot.
-danny

I just bought a Woodcraft 1/2" flush-trim bit about two months ago, and I'm quite happy with it. Beautifully smooth, clean cuts in maple and cherry, and in MDF when I used it to make table-saw inserts. I haven't had it long enough to be able to comment on its durability, but I'm more than satisfied so far.
Lessee, 9 x 5.00 = 45 bucks(plus tax). Yep, ya can't afford not to risk it. These are "loss leaders" to get you into the store, so buy something else, too! No affiliation. Tom >Subject: Woodcraft Router Bits

Someday, it'll all be over....
On 10 Oct 2003 15:37:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

<SNIP>
Yeah i did buy other items as well. woodcraft is about an hour from where i live, same for rockler. weird thing is, rockler and woodcraft are only 30 minutes away from each other! sad. I live in skokie for all you illinoisans.
I picked up the align it deluxe kit, power twist/pulley kit, and a pals kit for my table saw. i think that ate into the router savings a bit. =)
-danny
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:28:31 GMT, bummster

Put it this way, I already have 8-10 Woodcraft bits that I paid full price for. I've been more than happy with them and would recommend them at the normal price. I bought one of each of the $5 bits.
I also have CMT, Amana, Whiteside, Freud, and Carb-Tech. My CMT and Whiteside bits are complex profiles, like rail and stile and panel raising types. These are bits where precision and durability really matter, especially considering the price.
I find Woodcraft, Amana, and Carb-Tech to be perfectly serviceable for chamfering, rounding, etc...
I usually work with oak, ash, maple, and birch, along with plywood and MDF
Try one out, if you don't like it, you're out $5. If you do, you can hustle back and buy others.
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

So did I. Have not received them yet. For the money, if I get a few cuts and they are junk, no big loss. However, if I find them to be as good as stated, they will be a valued source for bits in the future. I've used other brands and they were all more that $5.
If they are willing to gamble that I'll come back, I'm willing to gamble that they are worth at least what I'm paying. For the price of all 10, you can buy two cases of beer and look where that ends up. Ed

gamble
10, you

I hope that 25.00 a case beer is Pilsner Urquell or Guinness and not Busch.
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:26:54 GMT, "A Dog Named Stain"
IMPORTS??? <G>
Why import when you can have Otter Creek, Harpoon, Magic Hat, Ipswitch, Brooklyn, or many other fine USA micro brews?
Actually, I'm sipping a Boddington's Pub Ale as I write this, so I shouldn't talk.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

My thought exactly. With all the outstanding microbrews available on the market that need to be tried, who has time for the brand name stuff.
Rico
Life is too short to drink waste it drinking cheap beer.
Rico wrote:

Shoulda said, "Life is to short to waste drinking cheap beer."
And there was no beer involved in the earlier post :)
And another perfectly good thread has gone to hell.....at least it's about beer.
Bob

in message wrote:

Mmmm - beeeeer. But, let's get serious - you wouldn't trust most anyone else to make your raised panel doors, so would you trust just anyone to make your beer? Of course not! Thus it only makes sense to brew your own. Best darn beer you'll ever drink, and all of the satisfaction of having made it yourself (sound familiar?).
The only problem is that I still have two weeks before I keg my latest batches of homebrew (a Hefeweizen, an Oktoberfest, and a Porter), so I'm stuck with the mass produced stuff :-( Oh, well, I'll make do :-) Those choices listed are some of my favorites btw...
--
Henry

To reply use henry @t henrywebb d0t com
[snip]

else
your
[snip]
Remember how it was before you had any power tools? Just a hammer and a crosscut saw? You probably would have bought raised panel doors at the Borg! SWMBO hasn't green lighted any brewing equipment at this point. (Lets see, biscuit jointer or bottle capper?) I guess I'll be buying my beer at Food Lion for a while. (Care to trade a keg of beer for a half dozed raised panel doors?)
Montyhp

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:45:02 GMT, "Henry Webb"

I've done some brewing myself, but we have so many GREAT varieties available locally, I usually buy it. Two of my buddies are excellent brewers. I live 1.5 miles from a bar featuring 35-40 micros on tap at any given time.
To bring this back to woodworking, one of the brewing, but non-woodworking guys is currently restoring an antique wine press. Guess who's making the replacement parts? He's paying me in home brew!
Barry
in > To bring this back to woodworking, one of the brewing, but

Now THAT'S what I call a fair trade! An antique wine press - very cool indeed. I'd be interested in seeing how that turns out. Please send us pics when you're done!
Ya know, I wish I just had more time to devote to both of these great hobbies... And I definitely agree with ya on there being a great selection of the good stuff these days; it sure beats the heck out of what we had available even only ten years ago...
They are worth it at full price. Helluva a deal at 5 bucks. I checked my inventory and stocked up on every bit I didn't have or was getting dull.
Bob