WoodCraft Green "Bessy" Clamps

A frugal buddy and I attended the SF Bay Area Wood Working Show this past Friday. He's in the market for some K-Body type clamps and was considering the WoodCraft green "Bessy" clamps. He stopped by the Bessy booth and asked why they are making a cheaper version of their clamps for WoodCraft. "We aren't." was the answer.
So are the WoodCraft green "Bessy Type Clamps" actually made by Bessy?
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

The jet clamps look a lot like the besseys also. I bet their patent ran out.
brian

According to the Woodcraft web page, yes. What makes your frugal buddy think they are cheaper? Well, maybe they sell for less money, but that does not mean they are constructed with less integrity, quality, or anything aside from the green instead of red color.
If it is the same clamp at a lower selling price, the Bessy rep was correct.
charlie b wrote:

Well, if you read the Woodcraft article carefully, it doesn't actually say they are made by Bessy, only that they (WC) "had the opportunity to work with Bessey to develop a Woodcraft line of parallel clamps." It goes on to point out they aren't the same as the K-Body so one would presume they bought a design or engineering services from Bessy and are _probably_ having them made for them. What is confusing is the Bessy logo used as it is. See http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid $3
Is also possible, of course, that they are also actually made by Bessy and the guys working the booth simply aren't aware of all the deals the front office has cut...that wouldn't be at all surprising, either.
Whatever the answer is, they aren't K-bodies, but a parallel jaw clamp of differing design details. Does appear from the words they aren't a product of patent-avoidance, though, as that wouldn't lend to the use of Bessy at all in the marketing...
dpb wrote:

wow, I didn't see the bessy logo in the print catalog, but there it is on the website. I must have missed it. So what's up with the jet clamps?
brian

True, as far as I can tell. This issue has been addressed in the past - see http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/f4f6fbc7b436e85e/e4e41415a3bc7e08?lnk=gst&q=green+k-bodies&rnum=1#e4e41415a3bc7e08 Representatives of both Woodcraft and Bessey chimed in to say that they're NOT actually made by Bessey, even though I think Woodcraft promo materials definitely imply they are. In fact, to quote their website http://tinyurl.com/y26jz2 , "Manufactured Exclusively for Woodcraft by Bessey Tools!" Despite that glowing advertisement, these clamps are apparently ACTUALLY manufactured by Groz in India, and not Bessey in Germany (See previously mentioned rec.woodworking thread of Oct 3, 2006). Anyway, with Bessey, Gross Stabil, and Jet parallel clamps on sale at Amazon right now (as per my earlier post), and all of these "real" brands CHEAPER (for 12, 24 and 31" sizes) than the Woodcraft ones, why would you go with the knock-offs? If Woodcraft offered these greenies at a significant cost savings over sale-priced "real" clamps, I might look at them more closely, but until then, why bother? I'm a very satisfied Woodcraft customer, and I'll certainly continue to take my business to them when I'm near one of their stores, but if they wanted to sell me green clamps, they'd have to offer them at half their current prices. Just my opinion, Andy
This was explained a couple months ago here....
Some company in India is actually making the clamps for Woodcraft using a license agreement from Bessey. I finally found the original messge that describes the situation: (I reorged the message to look better)
The Woodcraft parallel clamps were manufactured on contract by a third party (Groz of India) to Bessey's specifications.
These clamps are designed and manufactured to Bessey's standards to be a price point alternative to the regular K-Body manufactured by Bessey Tools in Germany.
I have personally used these clamps on several occasions since we first received the initial prototypes and I have to say that I truly believe they are of a quality that far exceeds the price.
That being said if you want the absolute best parallel jaw clamp on the maket then I would suggest that they buy the original K-Body.
If on the other hand you are a cost conscience customer that maybe has a budget that they must work within then I believe the Woodcraft by Bessey parallel clamps offer exceptional value.
Good luck on your decision and with all of your woodworking projects to come.
(PS: what's wrong with looking like Santa's workshop ??)
PTC
charlie b wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

But on the Woodcraft web site's page listing the clamps specifically states "Manufactured Exclusively for Woodcraft by Bessey Tools!". See:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDY03
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Recently some far-eastern imports have become available. Did the ones you saw have aluminum handles? Honestly I'm surprised it's taken so long.
now for
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.