Woodcraft

Page 2 of 3
On 11/23/2014 11:51 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

By slide rule I think you mean combo square. I have a Starret, dead on.
But I also have an old Stanley and a little empire. The empire and Stanley I adjusted by taking a small file and working them to square. just take a board that has been jointed. mark a line knife is better. using the same edge flip the square over and mark another line right next to that line. you eye should be able to pick up if they diverge. The should be parallel if not figure out where you need to remove material and take a file and remove less than half of what you think you need to. And check again.
--
Jeff

On 11/23/2014 11:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

value for the intended job. If I am buying some thing that will be used once a year or less I may go quite cheap, but if I am buying Something that will be used daily I may go to the other end of the spectrum.
HOWEVER. Screws and Fasteners are a different thing. I have bought to many cheap screws where that are made out such poor quality metal that they will ream out on the first attempt to put them in a hole. Others the heads break off.
Since I am not a big user and one day the screw may be to hang a small picture and the next to put a table together, I go with the the more expensive, so what ever I need it for it will be up to the job

You just described Hillman (IMO). I found one of the other big names is made by Hillman now also. I seem to think it might have been Crown.
On 11/23/2014 1:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Yeah, sure. OK. Price and quality do not always go together. I've spent the last 50+ years in many manufacturing plants. I've seen the same exact Widget go down the assembly line and end up going into 8 different branded cartons and sold at 8 different prices.
If you said you went with the highest quality, you'd have a good point. You said you went with the most expensive meaning you may be wasting a lot of money.
I hope you meant to say the best quality.
On 11/23/14, 10:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Yes, I don't know why I had slide rule on the brain. :-)

A brand new square should be square. I know how to check and adjust squares. I do it when I drop one... not when I buy one. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:31:21 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a tolerance on all squares. Greatest for a rafter square, middling for a combination square, and minimal for an engineering square.
And an engineers square is square on both outside and inside.
On 11/24/2014 11:58 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

A carpenter's better be close...

On 11/24/2014 11:58 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

their square by punching the inside of the angle or the outside. That makes the large framer calibrate outward and inward.
Martin
On 11/24/14, 11:58 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

My speed square was truer than the combo and other squares I was checking.
I'm not talking barely perceivable or only if extended out 4ft. I'm talking business card gap on a combo square. That's not tolerance. That's manufacturer's defect and it shouldn't be on the shelves at a store like Woodcraft.
What it comes down to is Woodcraft trying to make a premium profit from selling HF quality tools. I get it, they have to have high margin stuff so their franchisees can make money. But I'm not giving them my money for that crap.
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, November 24, 2014 12:29:30 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

You bet! I'm right there with you. I don't mind paying more for a good pr oduct, but absolutely won't pay a nickel more than I should for a mediocre one.
I <<always>> vote with my wallet, adding another reason they don't see me i n Woodcraft. When a couple of small hand tools I purchased at WC failed (cl amps) after 2 weeks, WC wouldn't take them back or exchange them since they claimed they were "promo" items, although they didn't disclose that at the time of purchase. Imagine my surprise to find them at HF for half the pric e to start with, then was able to use their always available 20% off coupon , and at that time they had a 90 day return policy on non powered tools.
I also had problems with a second Jet mini lathe I bought, one with and ove rheating motor. WC wouldn't take it back, and told me that I needed to ship it to JET since it was not within 14 days of purchase. They wouldn't back off, either. A brand new power tool...
So I called Jet, and the regional rep for our area happened to be in the of fice. I told him the story, and he was really pissed about the whole thing . He sent me a brand new motor, and gave me new bearings just in case they were part of the problem. About two weeks later he was down here on busin ess, I introduced myself, and he made WC set aside a new lathe for me. The rep told me to keep the motor and bearings, just bring in the whole lathe.
The asshats at WC were really pissed off as they felt like I had "gone over their heads" and "made them look bad". And they were really mad that the rep told me to keep the motor. I never figured out why they were pissed of f... the problem was resolved and they didn't have to lift one lazy finger nor did the store get a ding for returned merchandise. I thought that woul d have been perfect for them.
But you know, they felt like I robbed the bank by getting a "free motor". I was there for a about two years after that as that was where we had our w oodturning club meetings, and for months they couldn't wait to ask me what I did with my "free motor".
In a later conversation with the Jet rep, he told me that the store manager could (at that time) take back any Jet product that had an obvious manufac turing defect for up to a year from the date of purchase for a no hassle ex change. The store was to call Jet and explain the problem, then Jet would issue an RMA, and that was that.
That just made me dislike them more.
Robert
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:57:22 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

The fact that the stores are franchises has a lot to do with it. When a store opened here I worked there part time for a few years. I'd been woodworking a long time and some of the people there made me feel like a beginner. And good customer service was a requirement. They've been there now for almost 10 years and still going strong.
RE: Subject
If he is still around, ask Charlie Self about his time with Woodcraft.
Lew
On 11/24/14, 9:18 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

When you take them off the shelf at Woodcraft and start doing that, they ask you to leave the store.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/25/2014 9:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Someone always drops their square on one leg and it changes the angle slightly.
A lot of people just ignore and hope it is close enough until they buy another.
Martin
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:11:13 -0600, Leon wrote:

Probably to pound out a dent he created :-).
On 11/26/14, 9:12 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I know that and I know how to do it. My whole point in all this is that a woodworking store should be selling square squares and not ones that need adjusted.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/26/2014 10:16 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

And what about the customer that pulls one out and drops it?
--
Jeff

On 11/27/14, 7:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep!
--

-MIKE-

On 11/27/14, 8:32 AM, woodchucker wrote:

You're right. I'm sure that's what keeps happening in all the stores. How silly of me to think otherwise.
--

-MIKE-