Woodcraft $20 clamp set caution

Just a reminder--check the surfaces before you use them.

Found that one of mine had a big metal blob in the middle of one of the flats. Unfortunately I found it by knocking a big divot into a nice piece of quina.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for the heads up, but I always use some 1/8" hard boards scraps to protect the workpeice....

Reply to
Locutus

One of mine had the defect also, I filed it down, but I also always use scraps to shield the work piece as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Reply to
Panic

This one was big enough to poke through a 1/8" board. I mean _serious_ blob.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Filed it down"? You mean the flats are *metal*, not covered with plastic pads? No wonder they're so cheap.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Some have the plastic pads, a couple of the clamps don't

Reply to
Panic

And had one of those pads decide to slip off yesterday, (with the clamp tightened down on it) resulting in the clamp landing on the floor.

They _look_ like Jorgensen 3700s and but they sure don't work like them.

I'd say that for 20 bucks I got my money's worth.

Reply to
J. Clarke