Woodcraft $20 clamp set caution

Just a reminder--check the surfaces before you use them.
Found that one of mine had a big metal blob in the middle of one of the flats. Unfortunately I found it by knocking a big divot into a nice piece of quina.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks for the heads up, but I always use some 1/8" hard boards scraps to protect the workpeice....

piece
One of mine had the defect also, I filed it down, but I also always use scraps to shield the work piece as well. Thanks for the heads up!

"Filed it down"? You mean the flats are *metal*, not covered with plastic pads? No wonder they're so cheap.
--
Regards,

Some have the plastic pads, a couple of the clamps don't
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:20:43 -0500, Panic wrote:

And had one of those pads decide to slip off yesterday, (with the clamp tightened down on it) resulting in the clamp landing on the floor.
They _look_ like Jorgensen 3700s and but they sure don't work like them.
I'd say that for 20 bucks I got my money's worth.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:05:34 -0500, Locutus wrote:

This one was big enough to poke through a 1/8" board. I mean _serious_ blob.