Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel

Who knows what they used a hundred or more years ago? Coal is unique for where I live. I have lived her 60+ years and have never heard or seen of coad. Oil for heat but even that is scarce. Electric or gas or many times nothing. Winters are mild. And some do use wood. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

The shop does not know what the wood is. It is crumbling and rotting right now. I have a small piece to go by but am not able to identify it. The stock thay have pre made is from a long time ago. Before you or I were born. No markings to indicate manufacturer.

There is no way they will farm out anywork at all except is rare cases such as having me make/cut the piece. I am sure the shop will scruitinizing me every step of the way. Their customers expect everything to be done in house. Outsource? They probably have not heard the word. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Certainly no wood expert, but does lignum vitae meet the requirements?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Who knows what they used a hundred or more years ago? Coal is unique for where I live. I have lived her 60+ years and have never heard or seen of coad. Oil for heat but even that is scarce. Electric or gas or many times nothing. Winters are mild. And some do use wood. Bob AZ

Cannot say what was common 100 years ago for forges, but in the settled areas along the east coast in the 18th century coal was common. It was used as ballast in ships... Colonial Williamsburg, VA uses coal in its forges (though turned into coke before actually doing any forging, welding, etc.)

John

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin