Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel

Page 2 of 2

In one tv show - I think it was PBS "In Wisconsin" - they profiled a guy who makes horse drawn wagons for customers like the Central Park carriage rides in NYC. He said he used hickory and it had to be from above the snow line or it wouldn't be strong enough.
I do Civil War Reenacting, and our unit has a canon on a wooden carrage. When it needs work on the wheels, every few years, we take it to an Amish shop in Indianna. They can do rebuilds or make a complete wheel. I don't know what wood, but it's strong enouigh to drag that canon around a battlefield all weekend, every weekend thru the summer. Might try to Google an Amish woodworker. Hope this helps.
"rich" wrote in message

I suppose you may be able to do something by mail.
I have this strange visual of an Amish woodworker, wearing traditional clothing, sitting at a computer.
Lee Michaels wrote: | "rich" wrote in message || || Might try to Google an Amish woodworker. || | Is such a thing possible? Are there any Amish on line? | | I suppose you may be able to do something by mail. | | I have this strange visual of an Amish woodworker, wearing | traditional clothing, sitting at a computer.
...and pumping the treadle at 1 GHz.