Wood Storm Door

Just curious if anyone has built a wooden storm door, and if it has held up well, warpage, etc? How is attached to the brick molding, etc...

I have a neighbor who has a nice looking one, and I have to think it protects from the cold better than aluminum.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

We have a few of them at work, store bought though. Fairly harsh environment but they have held up well with just paint on them. Lot sof moisture from inside as well as outside. They do require more maintenance than a typical aluminum door with paint that holds up for 20+ years.

It is attached to hinges on the door casing, same as an aluminum one is.

Yes/No depending on construction. Some of the newer aluminum doors are made with an insulating core that is overall, better than wood. Compared to the doors with just a stamped metal panel, the wood is better. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

We have a screened in gazebo with a $20 borg wood screen door, it lasted

7 years and all I ever did was give it one coat of deck sealer. It never warped, swelled only after hurricanes and only the bottom rotted out. If I had given it any care at all it would have lasted 20 years.

I would think that a well finished wood storm door could be a better insulator but some of the newer materials are fairly impressive. BUT I prefer the look of a wood door.

On our small greenhouse I used a borg aluminum storm door because of the conditions inside and it allows me to swap out the glass for a screen in the summer.

BRuce

Buck Turgids> Just curious if anyone has built a wooden storm door, and if it has held up

Reply to
BRuce

Insulating value of a storm door is more in the seal it makes, trapping air between itself and the main door, than anything else. Dimensional stability the main factor in how well it meets its weather-stripping.

Which is why I wonder about them advertising the R3 value of the foam sandwiched between the cold-conducting metal sheathing. Or brag about the large window area....

Reply to
George

Although I didn't make them I've just recently replaced the cedar storm doors that were on my house. They were installed in 1952. I've lived in the house since 1977 and have never refinish them. I replaced them after they were damaged by being caught by the wind.

Nova